i30 Owners Club

Replacement Scissor Jack

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

• i30 Tourer 2015 1.6MPI Petrol 118hp
Went to put my winter rims on, using the toy scissor jack in the standard kit, and (un)fortunately noticed it twisting at the top. Damage was the underseal torn off exposing the body underneath. This jack would have been used maybe 20/24 times previously. Rating 700kg.
A search reveals the available scissor jacks with the same fitment at the top, to fit around the seam weld, are only rated 1000kg/1t, are are similarly 'cheap', @£10 at the lower end to £20 at the upper end retail, but all identically puny.
A much more substantial 1.5t scissor jack doesn't have the fitment to locate it by the seam weld, nor a flat top, so would dig into the underseal. I'm not entirely sure the fitting at the top is necessary, but it is useful to locate the jack correctly.
Having a look underneath, the jacking points are about 5cm deep, and 7cm wide, a bit smaller at the front. The top of the scissor jack meanwhile is about 4cm square where it touches the jacking point.
So, being unable to source the right scissor jack, I bought a cheap 2t trolley jack that came with a circular 7cm diameter rubber shoe. I used a piece of wood the same size as the jacking point to avoid the seam weld (by lowering the contact point to below the seam) and to locate the head of the jack centrally under the wood. Worked a treat, however still leaves me without a scissor jack to carry around.
I'm not going to buy a Hyundai jack, and want something I can trust, so it's going to be a 1.5t jobby.
(Although if it does become the emergency jack, it will only be called upon once or twice  :undecided:) This leaves me with having to locate a piece of wood or rubber on top of it to avoid damage and spread the load up to the size of the jacking point.
Who's done what with regards to scissor jack replacement?
I used my old mk4 golf standard jack for 12 years swapping rims twice a ear, never had an issue, so unhappily surprised with Hyundai tbh.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I've never had a scissor jack fail.
I do have a cheapie I bought at an auto accessories place which fills in as a spare around the garage. It's fine too.
I also have a small trolley jack and use a piece of pine in the same way as you are suggesting.
A basic one should be fine as long as you're only lifting one corner at a time, not the whole side.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I do have a cheapie I bought at an auto accessories place which fills in as a spare around the garage. It's fine too.
I also have a small trolley jack and use a piece of pine in the same way as you are suggesting.
A basic one should be fine as long as you're only lifting one corner at a time, not the whole side.
\

Not good enough Trev,

@tw2005  and I spend our lives sorting minor problems; but this is a critical issue.  :crazy1:
 Given that you are a Jack expert we need you to take up the slack..  PLEASE ...What is the answer?    :workitout: :Good_luck:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
\

Not good enough Trev,

@tw2005  and I spend our lives sorting minor problems; but this is a critical issue.  :crazy1:
 Given that you are a Jack expert we need you to take up the slack..  PLEASE ...What is the answer?
  :workitout: :Good_luck:

🤔
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 10:02:40 by The Gonz »

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Are you trying to wind me up?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
If I didn't know better I'd think this was a jacking off competition...  :whistler:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Some unkind types might suggest we don't know jack! :Pout:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If I didn't know better I'd think this was a jacking off competition...  :whistler:

Advice from the Jack of all Triads.  :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Go bigger, Santa or iload jack .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I looked the flimsy piece of sheet metal which is bent in to a shape of a jack and made a decission to never use it. Threw that one away and bought a 1.5 ton scissor jack for possible spare tyre changes. I bought a jack which has the notch on the top, so it work on the same lifting points as the oem "jack". That is only for emergency use (spare tyre). Summer and winter tyres I change with a 2.5ton hydraulic garage jack. I have a piece of 2x4 wood where I have cut a notch for the seam, so it can be used to the same lift points as the scissor jack.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

So I bought the 1.5t scissor jack.

However, jacking up the car, the same phenomonem occured! The jack appears to start leaning, however not so pronounced as with the small jack.
Maybe it's an optical illusion, because I cannot see the new jack having an issue.

Terrible picture I know.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Cut a notch in the 2x4 so it sits over the jacking point/seam and line the jack up correctly so the pivot points lean with the car.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
As per craigb and looks as though wood is comforming to shape of jack contact area causimg slight lean.  :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline 17clarence

• 2nd Gear

• Switzerland

I know it doesn't look like it, but the jack is at exactly 90deg from the car/seam line.
I think I'll get a block of hardish rubber off ebay and see if I can fashion something.
However crisis is over, as now I have the trolley jack, the scissor is relegated to actual punctures, and they are few and far betweeen.
  • i30 1.6GDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal