i30 Owners Club

What if the wrong rear brake pads had been fitted

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
Hi all

At the moment this is purely theoretical until I decide to take the back wheels off and have a look but what would happen if someone had fitted some new pads and had fitted ones that didn't have the pin shown with the red arrow on this picture?

My car is 2013 i30 with manual handbrake (brake calipers are 58300A6300)
  • 2013 1.6 CRDi

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
It will stop the rear handbrake from working properly. That peg locates in a recess in the face of the caliper piston, and stops it rotating. Whilst I don't fully understand how the mechanism works, it is essential the piston cannot rotate. I recently bought some Bendix pads which were allegedly for my 2015 car, but they didn't have that peg. Neither did a set of Brembo pads which were pulled off the shelf to check.

A set of Pagid pads did have this peg, but in the end I splashed out on the genuine article.

Needless to say, when fitting the pads the piston has to be wound back so that the recesses are at the top and bottom, to line up with the peg.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
It will stop the rear handbrake from working properly. That peg locates in a recess in the face of the caliper piston, and stops it rotating. Whilst I don't fully understand how the mechanism works, it is essential the piston cannot rotate. I recently bought some Bendix pads which were allegedly for my 2015 car, but they didn't have that peg. Neither did a set of Brembo pads which were pulled off the shelf to check.

A set of Pagid pads did have this peg, but in the end I splashed out on the genuine article.

Needless to say, when fitting the pads the piston has to be wound back so that the recesses are at the top and bottom, to line up with the peg.
yep, and I'm not sure of the exact setup on replacement without having a read myself. Same applies for EPB for the motor driven calipers, that pin needs to be there. ironically I discovered a GD i30 rear pad also fits my i40 premium with EPB, only difference in the pads is mine had a cut through the middle and the OEM clips do not fit
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline sheff30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      sheffield
Thanks for 2 great replies, To fill in a bit more, my handbrake has been misbehaving since the new pads were fitted. sometimes if I park on a steep hill and pull on the brake a little harder - 6 to 8 clicks then I notice that the next time I try to use the handbrake the first 2 clicks don't have any resistance, Looking under the car you can see the handbrake lever on the caliper is not fully returning and the spring is slightly stretched - I am guessing the piston has spun slightly.
I am thinking if I take the wheel off - move the brake piston slightly and then put a feeler gauge down I can verify if there is a pin there or not - No pin and I will ask the Garage swap the pads for the proper ones.
  • 2013 1.6 CRDi

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal