i30 Owners Club

Hey DIYers!

Offline wkristen

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
I've a few niggling things on my 2011 i30 5d hatch that would be awesome if they were fixable from home.
These photos are all from the same door, and the rust was caused by a broken electronic window motor i.e. window not sealed properly. Since been fixed. Hit me with your tips and tricks, or otherwise 'take it to a professional', I'm all ears!

• i30 Active SX FD MY11

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi There. That's a bit nasty, but if you look at a few of the DIY rust removal/repair videos on you tube it is doable.

THere are plenty including these two.

:link: How to Remove Rust - SCA Rust Converter // Supercheap Auto - YouTube

:link: Rust Removal Methods Explained - YouTube

Personally, I would scrape away the surface rust you can reach with a flat screw driver. Then, squirt some rust converter on the area being careful to mask everything around the area. Try and squirt some in through that drain hole making sure not to block it. Hopefully you can find a can with a straw to direct the spray. When the rust converter has done it's job and completely dried, touch up the area with a couple of coats of your cars top coat with a small brush or spray can if you can find the colour at your favourite car accessory place.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal