i30 Owners Club

Routine service turned into a $3800 add on

tw2005 · 7 · 1564

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
As the title suggests, I had the pleasure of having  an experience shared by  one of my colleagues today for his run of the mill GD 6 sp manual 1.6CRDi Hatch with 100000km.

The latest rage out there in service land apparently is Vehicle Health checks with personalised links and video footage of them checking the chassis, brakes , suspension etc.

My dad sent me a link for his Mazda the other week and today was one from the newest Hyundai Dealerships out our way which I found interesting.

This was neatly and conveniently packaged into a link to be viewed on ones phone. It also allows you to authorised whatever additional work they have quoted.

So ol mate comes to me knowing I'm nerdy with the i30s, and says my vehicle health checks are all red! Here's the quote $3800 :crazy1:

This is the list to the best of my memory capacity and also this vehicle has the classic clutch  problem with no free play and grabbing straight away from the deck.

1. Drive belt cracking - $240 - at this age and distance expected but it's not a $240 for a $50 belt plus fitting
2. Air cabin Pollen Filter clogged-  recommend filter replacement and ANTI-BACTERIAL treatment $190- filter again $40 easy DIY . Oh dear yes please sanitise me now , quick before those spores escape ,  :sicky:
3. Brake fluid flush- $99 moisture percentage 4% in fluid, recommended no more than 3%  :snow:  Assuming this is the case and it's done properly, I'd say fair enough
4. Tyres front x 2 : 3mm depth require replacement $360, You can get a pair of new Hankook Ventus Prime 3 fitted $200 - another ream job
5. Front ball joint boot split- $410 - pressed in type but holy crap, you can get a complete genuine arm for $190 and have it fitted for less
6. Clutch - requires replacement - $1800 - if you go to a dealer for a clutch  you deserve this

There's still $800 missing from this equation which may have been the service.

anyway, job approved. Look forward to the  autopsy report particularly interested in the clutch job whether the kit fixes it or if they come back with hydraulic issues?
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That'd be a shock to the system if I came out of a service being told that :Shocked: so it's approved! he's going through with it :confused:

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
That'd be a shock to the system if I came out of a service being told that :Shocked: so it's approved! he's going through with it :confused:
yep . I'll try and get the old clutch kit

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I expect you would have tried to talk him out of it...but he cant be fussed searching around and wants it done as quick as possible.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I expect you would have tried to talk him out of it...but he cant be fussed searching around and wants it done as quick as possible.
Pretty much, I was trying to give him an amount I could have saved him , was approaching  $700 and had not even touched the clutch. Could have picked up a genuine clutch kit $250 , only leaves $1550 for machining + labour . Even a gready independant I doubt would charge more than a grand for that so another conservative $500 saved

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! Your colleague obviously has more money than sense.  :head_knock:

The trouble is things like this give the i30 a bad name (with him and his friends)

Only had the bloody thing x amount of years and done x miles and had to spend $3,800 fixing it... When, as you say, a bit of shopping around could have fixed it for less than half that!   :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Wow! Your colleague obviously has more money than sense.  :head_knock:

The trouble is things like this give the i30 a bad name (with him and his friends)

Only had the bloody thing x amount of years and done x miles and had to spend $3,800 fixing it... When, as you say, a bit of shopping around could have fixed it for less than half that!   :undecided:
Well the clutch is an interesting one really.  he's no racer and fairly confident the car has been looked after and always been service but 100000K for a clutch replacement is below average. It's the same setup as the FD .

Says more about the dealerships than the car

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal