i30 Owners Club

Loss of power

Offline SwiftI30

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Hi everyone.

Just recently i bought a I30 Crdi, 1.4, 2014 Hyundai. It ran perfectly for a while. I bought it at the car dealership, so I suspect it was stationary for quite some time, since they even dropped the price on it. When taking it for a test drive, the breaks were all scratchy but after a short drive they cleaned up.
Now, the problem I have is when I push on the gas pedal, it doesn't pull as it used to at the start. Usually the "turbo" kicks in at around 2000rpm but now i noticed it kicks in at around 3000rpm. It has 160k Kilometres on it (100k miles). I also noticed that when I start the engine, it sometimes starts straight away but sometimes it takes a second or two. Once or twice it even cranked a few times then it stopped cranking and i had to reset the keyfob and start again.
I checked the oil and its the correct amount but it is rather dark.
What do you think it could be?
  • Hyundai I30 1.4 CRdi Go

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
-Fuel delivery for once
- Turbo at the end of life
- MAF sensor giving wrong reading
- Injectors clogged and not giving enough fuel
- Fuel "Bug"
- Starter Motor also to be checked
- Accumulator to be checked (under voltage in the system)

Options are unlimited here

Offline SwiftI30

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Okay, i've just taken my precious for a short ride. It started just fine. Also it turned on the turbo at around 2000rpm as normal. Basically, it ran like a clock. And last time i drove it was yesterday.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
of the options, these are worth looking at.

MAF sensor giving wrong reading
- Injectors clogged and not giving enough fuel
- Fuel "Bug"

However, I assume that you have DPF so give it an extended highway drive at a reasonable speed
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome!

The fact it appears to be intermittent is a good sign in my opinion. As Gary "NZ" says you most probably have a DPF (Diesel Particulate filter) We only started getting these in Australia in the 3rd generation i30 but in Europe with tighter emission laws you've had them much longer. They need regular (preferably fortnightly) highway runs of say 20 minutes or so to clear the build up of "soot" in the DPF.

Diesel bug is a build up of an algae type growth in the fuel tank which can block the fuel filter and possibly cause symptoms like you are experiencing. This can be treated with a specific fuel treatment and a replacement fuel filter.

The hesitant start could mean one or more defective glow plugs. but this would be unlikely to cause the other issues.

It is always hard to diagnose these things over the internet. Could be multiple causes or just something minor. Good luck with it.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SwiftI30

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
Thank you so much for your answers.
I will take it to the shop and get a new fuel filter and an additive for the fuel. Also will be giving the car a nice 20min run on the highway as well. And also will tell the mechanic to check the plugs as they were my initial suspect.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thank you so much for your answers.
I will take it to the shop and get a new fuel filter and an additive for the fuel. Also will be giving the car a nice 20min run on the highway as well. And also will tell the mechanic to check the plugs as they were my initial suspect.

Hopefully you have a mechanic you trust that will not rip you off. Diesel Fuel filters aren't cheap. Certainly mention these things to them, after inspection and error code testing they may pinpoint something else which might save the cost of a new filter or glow plugs.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline SwiftI30

• 1st Gear

• si Slovenia
They say " Never trust a mechanic, even if they're family"..well from experience I say that lmao. But yeah, i strongly doubt its the filter, sure as hell hope so, since they are stupidly expensive. It's most likely, like you said a bug or a worn out fuel filter. Will let you guys know once I take it to the mechanic.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal