i30 Owners Club

2017 i30 low engine warning message keeps coming up

Offline ClintonButler

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
Hi guys, this is my first post and probably in the wrong place. I drive a 2017 i30 1.6 diesel. The low engine warning message keeps coming up but when I check the oil level it's fine. Note, car was level and cold when i checked. Tia
  • 2017 hyundai I30 1.6 Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Clinton, Where you have put this question appears logical to me.

Assuming you have warranty left, I would take it back to your dealer for a check up. Better safe than sorry.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@ClintonButler
As Dazz says -back to the dealer.
That oil light usually relates to Pressure not level .
Ring/see dealer to explain that:
Light came on, once.
You checked oil and all good,
It came on again, 2nd time and now you're contacting them.
If they say " bring in next week all good to drive" get that in a email from them and ensure you get full name of person,  just in case.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sorry forgot,
G'Day clinton,

:i30:

Enjoy  :goodjob2:

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
My diesel PD sometimes shows the low oil message when the ignition is turned on but before the engine is started when it's getting close to its next service (I have it done every 20,000 miles and it currently shows 84,000). Far from being too low the oil level has risen above the maximum mark on the dipstick since the last change. No messages or warnings show when the engine is running and it drives as normal.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My diesel PD sometimes shows the low oil message when the ignition is turned on but before the engine is started when it's getting close to its next service (I have it done every 20,000 miles and it currently shows 84,000). Far from being too low the oil level has risen above the maximum mark on the dipstick since the last change. No messages or warnings show when the engine is running and it drives as normal.

That's a lot of miles for a PD. No wonder it does that 20k mile services are crazy. Even tight old me would do an interim oil and filter only at 10K if I lived over there.  :undecided:

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
It was made (and bought) to be driven.
I'm still banging on about the fuel consumption.
The economy is no better than the FD that preceded it and far below the stated figures whereas the FD exceeded them.   

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was made (and bought) to be driven.
I'm hearing you. I usually do around 30,000 kilometres per year in our main car, which is more than average, but in my latest car which is only 11 weeks old I've done over 11,000 kilometres.  :cool:

Offline marti30

• 3rd Gear
Even with my 20,000 mile interval it has a service at least twice a year or approximately 500 hours of use (estimated 40 mph average speed) which is quite enough expense and inconvenience in my opinion.
My old one made it to 288,000 miles on 20,000 services (the recommended interval was 12,500). It might have lasted longer with more frequent servicing but I have my doubts about this and an extra 15 oil and filter changes add up to a fair amount of expense over my target 300,000 mile ownership.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Even with my 20,000 mile interval it has a service at least twice a year or approximately 500 hours of use (estimated 40 mph average speed) which is quite enough expense and inconvenience in my opinion.
My old one made it to 288,000 miles on 20,000 services (the recommended interval was 12,500). It might have lasted longer with more frequent servicing but I have my doubts about this and an extra 15 oil and filter changes add up to a fair amount of expense over my target 300,000 mile ownership.

Sorry Marti. I keep forgetting you are that guy. No disrespect meant. The opposite actually. My cost saving efforts at times are legendary.. :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I service my vehicles every 10-12,000 km. Inconvenience (subjective) = 30 minutes. Expense = (oil & filter) approx $50.

Far from being too low the oil level has risen above the maximum mark "500 hours of use (estimated 40 mph average speed) "

Not only are you missing services, you are lubricating your engine with oil diluted by diesel fuel.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@ClintonButler
Any idea of cause yet ?

Offline Nic76

• 1st Gear

• ie Ireland, Republic of
      Limerick
Had the same problem with my 2017 i30 1.6  but also had a fault with the battery and it was hard to start when cold, got it checked out at main dealership, turned out to be a faulty battery sensor which was replaced under warranty
  • i30 deluxe 2017 1.6 110bhp

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@ClintonButler
Any idea of cause yet ?

Clinton ceased having ideas a month ago.  :rip:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@ClintonButler
Any idea of cause yet ?

Clinton ceased having ideas a month ago.  :rip:
@nzenigma
Forgotten I'd even asked .

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal