i30 Owners Club

DCT Not selecting reverse.

Offline Pat Kuijpers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Qld, Glass House Mountains
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have experienced an issue with my 2016 GD2 Diesel DCT I30 5 Door. What happened was I pulled up in a customers driveway. Placed car in park. Unloaded car, got back in and selected reverse and it did not engage. Car was still idling and no excelleration was available. I placed car back in Park and turned off the ignition. I then re-started the car in Park and then selected reverse and in engaged. Should also mention the engine indicator light came on and stayed on. Next day connected the car to a diagnostic machine and it found no fault recorded in the CPU. Also when the car restarted in Park it wanted to lunge forward momentarily. Has anybody experienced this or got any tips for me please. It has now happened 4 times. I am an Uber driver so the car does work and does a great job just by the way.
  • 2016 GD2 I30 Diesel DCT 5 door

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The gear change is predictive and electronically controlled . The lunge forward indicates that it had already selected a gear instead of neutral/park. = software glitch.
Best suggestion from me, go Back to dealer, reinstall software.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Pat Kuijpers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thank you for that response. I was feeling myself that it could be a software issue, but am not savvy enough to understand. Last night something strange happened when driving. I was in D7 and climbing a hill, the car started laboring and I saw the indicator show D4 on the dash, but the box had not changed down and there was no acceleration. It then changed down and revved slightly in the process. My simpleton take on this, is that the management system knows what had to happen, but the box was not getting/receiving the message. Am I making any sense? I am 65 years old and struggle with today's technology, it absolutely confounds me. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Sounds like on the money.  D7 to D4 is what the electronics suggested but the box didn't want to play. Call dealer for input. Maybe use the manual shift in the mean time. :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Sounds like on the money.  D7 to D4 is what the electronics suggested but the box didn't want to play. Call dealer for input. Maybe use the manual shift in the mean time. :undecided:
Just remembered "the lurch"- starting whilst in gear  :eek:

Offline Pat Kuijpers

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Could I reset the software on the car itself? Wouldn't it have firmware on board that I could just re-install somehow? I like your idea of manual changing and I will try it today and see what happens.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Get the dealer to do it - warranty job. May be a short term inconvenience,  but if you try something and it dies you may be up shite creek. 
Also we're assuming software not CPU or other item.
As it "started in gear "-  if something has died,  it may have taken something else with it.
Oh the old days of a hot 6 or V8, a 1 ton clutch and 12 mpg  :winker:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 02:08:35 by mickd »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

:iws:

@Pat Kuijpers don't under sell yourself. Your guesstimate of what is happening sound pretty good to me. But as Mick says, don't fiddle with it let them sort it out, but my all means give them our 2 cents worth. It wouldn't be the first time we've known more than the service department.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal