i30 Owners Club

A couple of minor niggles

Offline badgerfruit

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello all.
I have a 65 plate diesel i30 and, for the most part, I love it, it gets me to work and back around 80 miles a day so no complaints there but it's started to givee a little concern with a couple of things and I was hoping to get some opinions before I took it to a garage and hit with all kids of diagnostic costs!

So here goes:

Problem 1: the driver window seems to be going up at an angle so, without human interaction (I e. I have to give it a shove towards the back), it won't go back up.  Does the community think it's something quick and perhaps easy enough for a novice to repair or am I best taking it to my local garage?

Problem 2: after driving for a period (I haven't managed to narrow down how long), the front driver side wheel squeeks.  Not a major problem again, braking seems fine but nothing seems to solve it other than stopping and leaving it for a few hours (eg it'll do it as I arrive at work but if I go out at lunch, it's ok). Likewise when I leave work in the evening, it's ok until I notice it when I pull off the motorway.

Problem 3 (the most concerning one):. Recently when I pull away at the lights in 1st gear, my handbrake light comes on.  It stays on until I release the gas pedal (e.g. to change gear) but will then come on again as I accelerate.  Sometimes when I change to 3rd, it occurs again, sometimes, it doesn't.

I've googled and people say it could be brake fluid but I've looked and that seems fine to me.  It's not as if it's me hammering the shit out of it because it happens even if I am all soft and gentle with it.  I've noticed that if I set off in 2nd, it still does it but just not as quickly as if I set off in 1st where it more or less comes on straight away as my clutch is being let out.  It's hard to do a video of this for obvious reasons but I'll ask if my son can try while I drive later on.

So, there we have it. I have no idea what's going on, it's been a reliable and happy  car until now so fingers crossed you guys can at least give me some ideas on what I can/should do about these things!

Many thanks for reading :)
  • I30

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Pull the handbrake boot back to expose the switch. Is it sensitive? Remove wire and drive....now good?....now replace it.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome badgerfruit,

#1 You could try lubricating the window channels with a small amount of silicone spray or graphite powder.. (messy stuff, unfortunately) to see if that helps. I suspect though that a clip that holds one side of the glass in place has broken maybe.

Our resident window expert Gerard @tw2005 would have a better idea though.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

#1  I suspect though that a clip that holds one side of the glass in place has broken maybe.  :goodjob2:

Now Dazz!!!!!!!!!!! :faint: 

It is blasphemous to even say the "w" word before Gerard has posted at least ten pictures of new plastic bits, packets and part numbers plus Korean prices with freight charges to Australia.....
which he will then extrapolate into the British Pound and best air route after we point out that a Pom owns said w1#**w.

:evil: :whistler:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

#1  I suspect though that a clip that holds one side of the glass in place has broken maybe.  :goodjob2:

It is blasphemous to even say the "w" word before Gerard has posted at least ten pictures of new plastic bits, packets and part numbers plus Korean prices with freight charges to Australia.....
which he will then extrapolate into the British Pound and best air route after we point out that a Pom owns said w1#**w.

No, I'm going to say if it's a 65 plate then it should have warranty and go back to Hyundai
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

No, I'm going to say if it's a 65 plate then it should have warranty and go back to Hyundai

:happydance: :happydance: :happydance: I saved us.    :mrgreen:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal