i30 Owners Club

Another Newbie from Sinney, Shtray'ya

Offline herdygerdy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi All,
Been investigating i30s for a few weeks now, having been enlightened to their existence and general magnificence by John Cadogan from Autoexpert, who raves about them. 

At one dealer, I test drove a new N Line (my bro' in law had bought one), a 2.0 litre Active (quite nice) and a Kona (meh). 

At another dealer I test drove an '18 1.6 turbo diesel Go with DCT for about 20 mins and was very impressed how lively it is.   They also have two current model i30 diesel/DCT Premiums with all the fruit on the lot, but both are North of $30k (asking price at least)

I'm a 64 yrs young Kiwi expat, still loving riding and fettling my 2016 BMW R1200R motorcycle.  I am no stranger to a tool box.  My currently 4 wheel drive is a 2011 Subaru Impreza hatch (did you see what I did there?), owned for about 4 months.  Quite a nice comfy little car, but fuel economy, much to my surprise, is absolutely woeful ~13.5 litres per 100 kms.  Hence my interest in an i30 diesel with its legendary fuel economy.

So I find myself tossing up between:

a)  holding out and spending ~$20-25k on an i30 2017+ model; or
b)  getting a nice low kms (<50k kms) 2014/15 diesel auto Active or better for circa $14-$17k  (most likely if performance and fuel economy are OK and the right vee-hickle can be found)
c)  still yet to decide 1.8 /2.0 litre petrol or 1.6 litre turbo diesel.  Could still be convinced either way.
d)  hold out for diesel with DCT, or is a 'normal' 6 speed (?) auto OK?

95% of my driving is around town to & from work.  That said, I understand if a diesel is chosen, I'd need to protect the DPF by giving it a gentle fang for 30 mins once per week on the freeway (or should that be 'cost'way here in Sinney?).

Regardless, I'll still have the little Subie looked at early in Jan in case it is something simple.  It's done nearly 160k careful kms by the one previous owner and has full service history to boot.  If no significant improvement, then it will vacate the premises.

But I do know it is a matter of when, not if, an i30 will grace our driveway.  I am in no rush at all to buy though.

I am attracted by the well thought out tech., ergos and ease of drivability of all i30s.  That said, while heated /cooled power seats and sunroof would be just luvverly, I'm struggling to justify paying, say, $5-$10k for the privilege.

So my questions to my learned forum colleagues...

Is the fuel economy of the previous diesel model (ie; up to 2016?) with the conventional 6-speed auto  reasonably comparable to that of the current diesel model with the 7 speed DCT?

Is the 1.8 petrol in the previous model adequate performance-wise?  Now, I'm no slouch when driving, but am also not a boy racer either.  I just want something just a little bit spirited.  (I test drove a 2.0 litre current model around suburban streets and it seemed OK to me, just to put my expectations into context.)

With a careful selection, I'm hoping this also will be my very last car purchase.  I had an old '94 Hilux ute with a diesel auto (rare) for well over 15 years and did nearly 200k kms in it with only regular maintenance and servicing.

Any feedback/suggestions would be much appreciated and many thanks in advance for any insights you may offer.  Oh, decisions, decisions...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all.

herdygerdy

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 20:22:28 by herdygerdy »
  • i30 Actual model is WIP

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Welcome herdygerdy.

Before my 2009 i30 I had a 2004 Impreza Hatch and the fuel consumption was pretty ordinary even back then.

Someone will be along with answers to your well thought out questions.

In the meantime, what model Kona did you test.

My son had the turbo Highlander and it was a rocketship. I took it around the Mt Coot-tha loop in Brisbane one night and both the power and handling were superb. His lease has run out now and he's moved on but I rather like the Kona. So interested in why the "Meh".
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline herdygerdy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Hi Surferdude, thanks for the welcome. 

IIRC I test drove a 2.0 litre Kona, but only for about 10 mins in quiet suburban streets.  It just felt like a taller i30 and while there was nothing really bad about it, nothing really stood out either, if you get what I mean.  I may revisit it one day soon, so not discounted yet.

If I've put too many questions in my intro', happy for this to be moved/copied elsewhere.   :confused:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good point.
I'll slip it into "Advice for Potential Buyers".

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome herdygerdy! That's a hell of a first post. "Subies" have tended to be one of the thirstier brands but that is a crazy figure!  :crazy1:

We've had four i30's in 11 years but never had a 6 speed auto diesel. I get the impression from those who have, the economy can be disappointing compared to the Manuals or even the DCT. Although it would still be around half that of your current car.

Like you say the current 2.0 is adequate as was the 1.8 petrol in the previous GD series. The 1.6 (non turbo) petrol is a bit lacking in torque but good on fuel by Hyundai standards.

The 1.6 Diesel and 1.6 Turbo petrol are the pick of the engines though. So if it were me I'd definitely limit your choice to one of those engines married to either a 6 speed manual or 7 speed DCT. The Diesel in that combo should give you 5 L/100 kms or better and the Petrol high 6's or 7's which is pretty good.

Will follow your journey with interest.  :goodjob:

I Concur with Trevor about the Kona. they are a great little car with the 1.6 Turbo (my wife loves her 5 month old Turbo Active model)

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Bro.  :cool:
So many questions!!!
I have lost count of the i30s I have had. A few comments.:

I met an RACQ towie who was looking for a car for his wife. He said he picked up member’s breakdown cars, he NEVER had to pick up an i30 diesel. That’s what he wanted for his wife.

If you want sedentary driving, buy an auto. If you want to live, buy a car with a turbo and manual box.
All the i30s, petrol and diesel, have been reliable. Diesels are still going strong at 300,000 KM. Obviously, the most nimble is the diesel with the manual box. However, the petrol or diesel with DCT is up there too with performance,(nice to drive :goodjob2:) however the DCT may experience the odd software glitch and if it lasts 150K without major repair cost I would be surprised.

The late (2017-18) 2.0L SR should have been a flyer but bad gear ratios spoil it.
I30 owners have not been cursed with a DPF until the new PD crdi came on the market.
Currently, wife has 3 low km GDs, all auto, one diesel and 2 petrol. One 1.8 petrol (50K km on clock) is a quick car on out country road and great performer in town. In the current climate ( financial  :rolleyes:) you could pick similar one up for under $15K.

Briefly, I had a PD petrol which, compared to the older GD, was ok, but unremarkable. The major difference between the two models seems to be the autonomous features. These may be of comfort to less competent drivers.  :undecided: I recently spent much of a 6000 km drive in Europe trying to switch all the annoying shit off.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 22:16:52 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline galixia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I agree on the Kona... turbo model was out of my price range so the 2.0lt one was just meh. Just an I30 on stilts with a much smaller boot and the boot space was a massive one for me with a couple of small kids. We couldnt fit our double pram in it which fits fine in the I30.

Saying that the turbo Kona is AWD which may suit the icy NZ winter roads better.
  • 2018 I30 Active

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Bro.  :cool:
The late (2017-18) 2.0L SR should have been a flyer but bad gear ratios spoil it.

I'm assuming you mean the GD SR like my stepdaughter Dee has.. (that would be Late (2016-17)  :goodjob:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
G'Day herdy ,

:i30:
Pretty much a reliable unit regardless of which version.
2016 BMW R1200R --- WINNER . Put some pics up in other motors section.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline robbo137

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hi Herdy

I just recently bought a manual 2019 i30 Nline and love it. Not exactly a hot hatch but handles superbly and has some punch there that makes everyday driving fun. The torque curve is perfect and you get max torque quite early on in the rev range which makes it very zippy around town. Like you said, tech is well laid out and very sophisticated. Apple car play has worked seamlessly for me. My mate just bought a 2019 Kia Cerato GT and while on paper in terms of features (particularly active safety tech) it trumps the Nline, i personally feel like the interior and exterior aren't quite as sophisticated.

Before that i had a 2014 i30 1.8 which was fantastic for fuel economy and was very reliable but not very fun to drive. Great A to B car and with amazing ownership.

I got my Nline for around 25k on the road with free floor and cargo mats and a couple tanks of fuel so if you bargain hard this could be in within your $20-25k
  • 2019 i30 Nline 1.6T

Offline herdygerdy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Thanks to all for your carefully considered opinions and valuable feedback. 

As much as I have enjoyed driving manuals in years gone by (decades actually), in the stoplight to stoplight GP of absolutely mental Sydney traffic, an auto/DCT is a must-have.  And of course the trump card is SWMBO won't 'do' manuals.  Sigh...

nzenigma, your comment re DCTs likely to need major repair cost <$150k has my attention.  In all autos I have had (and ack the tech between DCTs and true autos with a torque converter is 'chalk and cheese'), I have religiously slipped into neutral at lights, so the box is either 'at ease' or working as designed.  Fingers crossed, I've never had a problem with an auto box, or needed to have one rebuilt.

I have read that constantly creeping fwd in heavy traffic is death to DCTs.  Do you (or anyone else?)  have any suggestions as to what a "mechanically sympathetic" driver can do to extend the life of the DCT so as to hopefully avoid the anticipated major repair costs?  (and moving to the country is not an option, unfortunately :whistler:).

It would seem to me the 'slipping it into neutral' thing could help extend the life of components.  Software glitchy things I'd have to live with though, one of the joys of modern life.

Seems like my best course of action will be to just get out there and drive a few autos/DCTs and see what works and feels best for me.  I do like the current PD diesel/DCT Premium a helluva LOT tho'.  I only hope they feel & perform as spirited as the 2019 diesel/DCT Go I drove.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks to all for your carefully considered opinions and valuable feedback. 

nzenigma, your comment re DCTs likely to need major repair cost by 150,000 km has my attention.

Mate, just adjusted your reply. The DTC dual mass flywheel is the weak link and probably why they advise you not to creep in Sydney traffic, if that is possible  :whistler:.
I had an i30 crdi with DCT, It had just over 80,000 km on the clock and I could hear the flywheel rattling at idle.. Ive previously posted a vid of a Veloster in USA doing the same.
Colleague was doing same job on a VW and that was about a $2500 repair.

While Dazz types crack on about fuel economy, they ignore the fact that $s saved on fuel may be wiped out by repair costs.  :happydance:
 Given dealer resistance to clutch repairs, there is no guarantee that this will fall under warranty work.

At the same time, I reiterate that a car with DCT is a nice sporty driver. If you accept the POSSIBLE maintenance cost, its worth having one.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@herdygerdy

I really liked my SR with DCT but if I had to contend with regular Sydney traffic I think I would not go there (DCT that is)

I drove through congested traffic in both Sydney and Melbourne in my SR and it was fine but in view of the wise considerations Gary has mentioned I don't think it would be right for you.  :Pout:

So it seems to me that a Diesel i30 with 6 speed auto box is going to be your best bet.  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Here's one out of left field! Sell your first born child and up your budget to include a Hybrid Ioniq.

Having owned 3 Toyota Hybrids, they are just brilliant in bumper to bumper traffic.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Here's one out of left field! Sell your first born child and up your budget to include a Hybrid Ioniq.

Having owned 3 Toyota Hybrids, they are just brilliant in bumper to bumper traffic.
Bumper to bumper !   :rofl: :rofl:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Here's one out of left field!  :stoned:

brilliant in bumper to bumper traffic.

Don't laugh, its all the rage Mick

He's booked to do the Aleppo to Calcutta tour.  :laughter:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It was bumper to bumper in Melbourne last year.. we picked Melbourne Cup day to transverse the city in torrential rain..

When we came back through Sydney on way home in November there was a breakdown or prang added nearly as extra hour to our day.. so bumper to bumper it was.  :evil:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

It was bumper to bumper in Melbourne last year.. we picked Melbourne Cup day to transverse the city in torrential rain..

When we came back through Sydney on way home in November there was a breakdown or prang added nearly as extra hour to our day.. so bumper to bumper it was.  :evil:
I was thinking of - when traffic GETZ bumper to bumper. 

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Reminds me of 1989 when we drove from Sydney to Adelaide for the Grand Prix.
On the way hoe we traversed Melbourne around the middle of the day and there was virtually no traffic anywhere. Eventually we realized it was Melbourne Cup Tuesday.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I was thinking of - when traffic GETZ bumper to bumper.

Oh now I Getz ya!  :snigger: :goodjob2: :goodjob: :judges:

@nzenigma Sounds like our timing was out. Was quite early so people rushing around doing stuff before the racing started I guess...

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@nzenigma Sounds like our timing was out.

Dazz you're pretty when you dress up, but...... sorry its just not working.  :mrgreen:

Offline herdygerdy

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      New South Wales
Given the discussion around the anticipated shorter expected life span of DCT vs a torque converter equipped old school auto', have there been any actual problems / incidents of this nature raised with the DCT?  Have they been around long enough in city use to reach the  anticipated150k kms 'danger zone' yet?  Any hard data available?

(and not doubting the valuable responses my erstwhile forum colleagues in any way, just asking with the greatest respect....)

Also, given the 7 year 'whah-ran-tee' currently being offered by Mother H atm, surely they would be obliged to honour the repair if it failed?  I suppose you could then get into the bun-fight of what precisely constitutes failure?  I could see it easily getting into a debate where a flywheel that is noisy, but still shifts just fine, may not actually be considered (by the dealer or Mother H)  to be an actual failure, but I do...?

Or, as so eloquently put in 'The Castle', would Mother H simply inform the dealer to just ...'Tell 'im 'eez dreamin'..."

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Tks...Tony

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If you want one buy one  :victory:

The 150k is a nominal figure.
Mine was 80k
Veloster below is 76k US miles;  box changed twice to no avail because it is the flywheel

:link: rattling clunking vibration sound on 2016 veloster turbo with 76k - YouTube

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@herdygerdy

Tony, what NZ (Gary) eluded to earlier, is there is a grey area with clutches under warranty in manual cars. It is not uncommon for a warranty claim on a 3 year old clutch in a car with a 5 year warranty to be refused as a claim due to fair wear and tear from someone riding the clutch. So essentially a worn out clutch, not a failure.

So Gary and others quite rightly suspect that Hyundai and other manufacturers my use the same thinking with DCT going forward.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal