i30 Owners Club

Fog on the windscreen when cold

Dave470 · 16 · 6401

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Always when gets cold around 0 degrees, fog on my windows from inside appears. So in cold morning I end up with ice on the windscreen inside the car. This did not happened last winter. I've tried to search for similar topics and the only similar issue I found was blocked A/C drain, but it always caused water on passenger mats. I've checked the car and didn't find anything wet. Did anyone had the same issue? I own Hyundai i30 SE 2016.

Thanks for any help.
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :wttc:

Are your mats wet or is anything damp left in the car overnight?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Hi, everything is dry... That's why the only logical explanation seems to be water in ventilation system. Today I've checked the air filter which is located behind glove box on passenger side, filter was a bit dirty but dry. Have no idea where is the moist coming from.  It's happening only when is cold that's what I find strange, this morning was 10 degrees and there was no fog.
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I get it and have been since new 7 years.

Depending on wind direction it can be slight, if wind blowing towards rear, or bad, if wind blowing directly onto the front.

So I put it down to colder breeze hitting front screen plus coming into car via the screen vents plus initially warmer inside car than outside therefore internal condinsation .

If I remember I will make sure the screen vent is NOT 'open' and before I turn engine off put vents to feet.

Also, wind direction will decide if the car is on the drive front first or rear first.

Plus
Put circulation to cabin rather than external
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 20:01:54 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
I didn't think of that 🤔 almost all the time it's on windscreen. I will definitely try it. For some reason I thought it will automatically close when the engine is off....

Thank you 😊
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Get new air filter. Dirty filter causes moisture inside. Clean filter with better air flow helps a bit. But mainly that is just something that happens in low temps. If it is wet you bring moisture inside the car with you (shoes, etc.). Especially here when you get snow inside the car...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
I will try new filter, and will see what happens. Thai year wasn't snowing yet. Do you think water from shoes is enough to have ice on windows next day?
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Just to be sure, did u mean cabin air filter?
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Yes, cabin filter. Engine filter has nothing to do with interior air.

When temps get colder moisture will appear. That is just physics. And if you don't drive long distances the condensated water will not get out of your car. Also clean the windscreen (from the inside). Clean glass does not fog up as easily as filthy one.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Does your air conditioning have healthy gas? Demisting is not just heating. It works with air con to draw moisture from your cabin air, even when it is cold weather.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Does your air conditioning have healthy gas? Demisting is not just heating. It works with air con to draw moisture from your cabin air, even when it is cold weather.
Had my air con replaced/ regasses few months ago.

At same time I replaced air con filter.

I still get fogging.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom

I bought that car 1 and half year ago, and didn't service the ar conditioning, so it could be that issue. Anyway I will change the air filter and put the cabin air circulation on when parked, will see what happens when temperature drops to 0.
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Cabin air circulation fogs up the windows. You want dry air from the outside.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dave470

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      United Kingdom
Cabin air circulation fogs up the windows. You want dry air from the outside.

This might sound stupid, but is the air from outside dry, when I love by the sea and mostly rainy weather?
  • Hyundai i30 SE

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
It is basicly same air inside and outside. But you and any other people or animal are breathing and maybe even swetting inside the car. So you don't want to circulate the same air where you breathe and create even more moisture. Fog goes away when moisture gets low or temperature gets high. AC on and fresh air from outside.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
At least my car has this clever button for fogging wind screen. It turns the AC on and changes the air intake to outside.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal