i30 Owners Club

Rear wheel bearing bracket - rusted permanently stuck or am I an idiot...

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
Hi guys... I'm repleacing my handbrake bands and all the "gizmos" spring etc. In the rear wheel hubs. Also the disc protection plates are like paper. So I have to get the bearing bracket off, and its darn stuck... any tips.. bit afraid banging the shi... out of it, and heating might f.. bearing gaskets... so: sledge and brute force,  hammering a cleaver between?, or get an i40?
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
And fyi. I have of course released the 4 bolts holding the bracket... please give a tip soon, I'm supose to pick up my wife on Sunday,  and if the car is stuck I will get seven days of bitching as Christmas gift....
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And fyi. I have of course released the 4 bolts holding the bracket... please give a tip soon, I'm supose to pick up my wife on Sunday,  and if the car is stuck I will get seven days of bitching as Christmas gift....
:rofl:
You might have to wait until some of our tech experts over here wake up. But I'm sure someone will come along with suggestions soon enough.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
Thanks Surfer needed someone to calm me down. Afraid it might end up with a red Christmas  :P any input is appreciated
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@Geirrune

Love your sense of humour.. I can relate. Unfortunately I'm no mechanic. Merry Christmas and I'm sure someone will help soon.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Geirrune

Mate, like most mechanics down under, I am not troubled by massive rust caused by road salt and ice. Consequently, Im relying upon non-Hyundai experience.

My first friend would be a mass of WD40. The "bracket" you refer to is a solid plate??? Leave the WD40 for an hour to soak down then give plate some moderate smacks at its edges.

Heating the plate can usually free things up and if it is that badly corroded, the gaskets are probably stuffed anyway.
Easy enough to buy the right card from auto supplier and cut new ones.

Good luck
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
Hi NZ. Tnx for reply. And that's the big bad wolf... here they put out rough salt per year to kill the Dead Sea..  makes steel peaces glue like welding... normally I would jam a sharp edge screwdriver between, deforming metal on both peaces, with a brutal sledge forcing viking way.... but this is my wheel bearing, connected to my car... getting me a bit carefull... but as my earlier posts show, I might be a ghost by the end of Sunday,  so never mind...
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline Geirrune

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Stavanger
 :crazy1: shit guys, some hours of letting the wd40 sucking into the rust from hell a few bangs with the tors hammer where enough... there is suddenly a minor chance I will live through this weekend afterall.. I'm popping a beer to celebrate this (hopefully) success....btw I got some new techniques how to deal with the shitty rust, and planning a small topic on this... have a great holiday you all :drinks:
  • 2010 I30CW 1.6Diesel

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :wttc:
Marriage Resolution Centre
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
:crazy1: shit guys, some hours of letting the wd40 sucking into the rust from hell a few bangs with the tors hammer where enough... there is suddenly a minor chance I will live through this weekend afterall.. I'm popping a beer to celebrate this (hopefully) success....btw I got some new techniques how to deal with the shitty rust, and planning a small topic on this... have a great holiday you all :drinks:
  Would have made for some great images... oh well. one will just have to imagine :Pout:

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Would have made for some great images... oh well. one will just have to imagine  :stoned:

:seriously:

No wait, I can see it too ,  :workitout:   60 minutes X 4 hours = 240 images :happyjumper: ....  foreground:  the trickle of WD40 ;  background: a clock.

Now that's ART !  :drinks:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal