i30 Owners Club

Leaking Heater Core

Offline Washout77

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Lobethal, South Australia
Hi everyone,
Driving to work this morning, I found about 1cm of coolant sitting in footwell drivers side. Pulled some trim back and I see dripping coming out of area between heater core and ducting. i30 Diesel 2008 SLX.
Firstly, had anyone ever had theirs fail?
Secondly, can anyone suggest where I might get a reasonably priced replacement? I'm in Australia!
Thirdly, it looks like a real mongrel to get out! Any pointers, suggestions apart from a plasma cutter'!!  :lol:

Thanks in advance;

Ben
  • 2018 Hyundai i30 MY18 CRDi

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Never done one but I could imagine the nightmare

Same here.
Ive stripped several FDs and dumped wreck with core still in it.

I figured that I probably will never see a failure, if I do, Im going to block the hoses and sell the car in summer.  :twisted:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Washout77

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Well, thank you for all assistance, and I am certainly in the position of thinking this isn't going to be easy at all. Considering everything is burning around me at the moment at least I'll have a few months to disassemble and reassemble!
I'll keep checking to see if anyone has ideas on a way to change it. In the meantime, at least my carpet can be dried quickly!
And thanks TW2005 for the links!

Offline Washout77

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Actually, while I am thinking( read procrastinating) about it, does anyone have an exploded view/ manual image etc that may show how to remove it? I assume it doesn't come out through the engine bay :rofl:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Getcher A-frame ready! :crazy1:

:Ouch:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Actually, while I am thinking( read procrastinating) about it, does anyone have an exploded view/ manual image etc that may show how to remove it? I assume it doesn't come out through the engine bay :rofl:

Sorry mate, all my manuals just show components on the heater unit complete and in place. Cheery Xmas thought for you; For sure you need to remove the glove compartment and centre consul to get at it; but I think you will also need to remove the dash .
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
There's a bell ringing in my head.
Someone replaced it or wad it the AC one - cut pipes off old & new  and joined using hose in cab.  :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Someone replaced it or wad it the AC one - cut pipes off old & new  and joined using hose in cab.  :undecided:

Yes. Few weeks ago someone tried to change the heater core. Realized it was "impossible". So he cut down the pipes from old broken and new one. Used rubber pipes to connect the pipes and heater core. Said it was Quick and easy, and fixed the issue. You can probably find the topic with search. It had good info and good pics.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Yes. Few weeks ago someone tried to change the heater core. Realized it was "impossible". So he cut down the pipes from old broken and new one. Used rubber pipes to connect the pipes and heater core. Said it was Quick and easy, and fixed the issue. You can probably find the topic with search. It had good info and good pics.
@sundiz
Thats it  :victory:
Your brain works better than mine   :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Washout77

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks guys. Appreciate your help. Will get in touch and see what AndyK says.
Merry Christmas

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal