i30 Owners Club

2017 i30 SR 1.6T DCT has "Lumpy" idle and hesitation during acceleration

Offline Thebigwoodsie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I have a 2017 i30 SR 1.6T DCT that has a "lumpy" idle and hesitation during acceleration. During my last service in Nov 2019 I told my dealer about the "lumpy" idle but at that time it did not hesitate on acceleration. They said there were no issues with the idle according to their readouts. I would have thought that sitting in the car with the engine on and noticing the "lumpy" idle would be more beneficial. I think many of the mechanics (I believe the dealers call them technicians now) rely too much on the information from the cars computer instead of their own senses.
 Has anyone had a similar problem? I'm of the belief that it is an fuel injector problem or issue with the ignition system.
  • Hyundai i30 SR 1.6T DCT PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome woodsie,

Have you had any issues with the car starting when warm? There was a warm start issue with some SR's. There is quite a lot about it on here. Initially they thought it was software related but updated software did little to solve the problem. I was always skeptical about it being software as only a percentage of vehicles were affected.

Anyway, most of the ones that had the problem have now been fixed under warranty with new injectors. It appears there must have been a faulty batch. A couple of members actually reported rough idle etc.. after having new injectors fitted.  :crazy1:

So on that note, I suspect an issue with the injectors. Keep at them. It's not good enough.

Many of us here feel the same about this new "fault not found/ no codes" mentality.  :fum:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Thebigwoodsie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Hi Dazzler,
                Thanks for your feedback.  I've not had any cold start problems with my car. I'll keep at the dealer until it gets fixed.

Thebigwoodsie

Offline Thebigwoodsie

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I took my car to the dealer and they suggested it was the Throttle Valve that was the issue. They cleaned the valve and it went well for a couple of days. It is better than it was but still has the tendency to idle roughly (idling at 650rpms at this stage) but will then run smoothly at 900ish rpms. Not sure if the throttle valve is faulty or it has gotten dirty again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Thebigwoodsie

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
650 ??
Will check our Kona , that seems a bit low from memory.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Back again, Kona idle is app. 800 -825rpm.
Bottom of RPM indicator is at the top of 750 rpm marker .
@Thebigwoodsie
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I took my car to the dealer and they suggested it was the Throttle Valve that was the issue. They cleaned the valve and it went well for a couple of days. It is better than it was but still has the tendency to idle roughly (idling at 650rpms at this stage) but will then run smoothly at 900ish rpms. Not sure if the throttle valve is faulty or it has gotten dirty again. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Thebigwoodsie

As Mick points to around the 800 + rpm mark :goodjob2:

Hi Dazzler,
                Thanks for your feedback.  I've not had any cold start problems with my car. I'll keep at the dealer until it gets fixed.

Thebigwoodsie

Dazz was talking about warm start, not cold.  A bad injector will give the rough idle you describe.

Welcome woodsie,

Have you had any issues with the car starting when warm? .... I suspect an issue with the injectors. Keep at them. It's not good enough.

Many of us here feel the same about this new "fault not found/ no codes" mentality.  :fum:

My MANY rants about 'no fault found' and incompetent so-called technicians have ruffled a few feathers here; but, consistent complaints from members about the lack of dealer service/care reinforce your negativity.

Keep at them. Ask for the evidence when you are being fobbed off.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal