i30 Owners Club

Radio going silent but still appears to work

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Hey guys.

New owner of a used 2010 Hyundai i30. I bought it "sold as seen' from a really reputable dealer who basically let me have it at trade price.

It's a 1.6 5 door petrol model and is awesome. No issues first two days. However, today for no reason after a 15 minute drive listening to the radio tunednjnto my Bluetooth adaptor the sound cut out. It came back a few times when driving around but now no matter which channel or station i turn to I'm not hearing anything at all

I haven't got a CD or aux lead to test yet but one is coming tomorrow to see if it's just the radio.

Anyone have any ideas? If it's just the antenna not getting signal I'm okay with it but if it's a faulty electric thing I'll need to get it fixed (not ideal in the same month I've bought it hah)

Thanks for any help
  • 2010 1.6 Wc

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome New guy,

Unfortunately I doubt it is the antenna (I'm no expert but just doesn't sound like an antenna issue to me). Sounds more like an issue with loose wiring to me. Maybe the connector at the back has come a bit loose. Best to see how it goes when you try a CD obviously if still no sound it's a speaker connection or Amp issue. Can't recall it being a common one mentioned on here. Some complain about Radio reception being a bit weak or patchy but not of complete lack of sound. Hopefully it turns out to be something minor and cheap if not free to fix.

We do have a few Audio savvy folk on here. :cool:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Thanks for the reply.

I tried to put a CD in to test it at work but the CD didn't 'suck in' - just sort of felt like i'd have had to push it all the way in and then I'm afraid I won't be able to get it out.

Weirdly the radio worked all the way to work today once I slapped the centre console in frustration, and then as soon as I got into a side street it went completely silent again. Such a strange issue.

I guess I will have to take it to a garage soon if I can't think of a way to fix myself.
  • 2010 1.6 Wc

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Slap, turn into side street, both good indicators of a loose connection or intermittent short. Open her up!
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Any guides on how to check the likely connections? I'm clueless with car stuff hut eager to learn
  • 2010 1.6 Wc

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
2010 sounds like it might be like my dashboard, but I've never had to get any closer to the radio than popping the top storage compartment and installing a GPS permanently wired to the back of the 12V socket under the ash coin tray. If the short is anywhere in that area, then it is worth at least removing the cigarette lighter and opening the 12V socket's door and like holding a bowling ball use your fingers in there to twist the panel up and out.

You may then have enough access to cables running past there to test for looseness. From there you may need to get into the USB socket in the centre armrest. Searching this forum with a few well chosen key words will point you to threads where this is covered in detail, with pictures. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hang in there for a bit if nothing  helpful comes up in a search. Members are constantly popping in and out of the forum checking unread threads. Being a worldwide forum it can take a few days for some of our friendly members to offer their thoughts. With the scary fires downunder (where many of our members reside) some are otherwise pre occupied at the moment to!  :Pout:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Do try turning off TA "Traffic Alert" just to rule our the very easy.....

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Slap, turn into side street, both good indicators of a loose connection or intermittent short. Open her up!

Avoid side streets?  :cool:

It easy enough to remove the radio. Find it in our search. Briefly, open top lid remove tray ( four screws)> pull off plastic fascia> slide out radio (four screws).

Turn on radio check 3 plugs at back. Also antenna plug. If loose radio will stop and start.

Also comment about CD player not working hints at 12v supply not available. Therefore, look for light, do basic measurement of 12v+ and chassis connection. The pin connections may be on sticker  back of radio.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
No top lid/tray on a UK (Czech) 2010 - just remove screws in back of ash tray and pull the facia.

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Thanks. Good to know specifically what may be issue. I've tried aux now too and it also cuts to silence when the radio does. Still comes back on now and then with no quality issues so it's gotta be a wiring fault.

Will try and open it up today
  • 2010 1.6 Wc

Offline Newi30guy

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle
Hey guys. Update: I opened the radio up a bit and wires seemed fine. Called a local garage and he says it might be amplifier and a new radio job. I feel this may be a rip off considering the sound works fine when it does work. This morning j had about 20 minutes playing fine before a bump in the road silenced it again.
  • 2010 1.6 Wc

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey guys. Update: I opened the radio up a bit and wires seemed fine. Called a local garage and he says it might be amplifier and a new radio job. I feel this may be a rip off considering the sound works fine when it does work. This morning j had about 20 minutes playing fine before a bump in the road silenced it again.

It is starting to sound like the problem is internal. Dry solder joint or something. Maybe see if you can pick a replacement up cheap from a wreckers yard. You will obviously want some assurance that it works or a short warranty before you part with any money. I wonder if there are any used units being advertised on line? Be cool if one of our members in the UK had updated their stereo in an FD and still had their old unit stored away, but that would be a very long shot!  :undecided:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Local garage has mechanics  :crazy2: :crazy2: do you go to the vet clinic if you personally have a migraine?  :whistler:

You need to leave the radio plugged in and playing.
Move wires leading to it.> stops?
Bump radio> stops?
With radio running with top off use handle end of a SMALL screwdriver to tap components> stops?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Ally Adams

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Eyre Peninsula
Hi,  I am on my 3rd radio--- since a new i30 in 2013.  The first one would cut out reception repeatedly and would restart after pulling out the fuse and putting it back( the fuse had not blown, I was like resetting the system) anyhow I put up with it for 2 years when Hyundai replaced it under warantee. The 2nd one lasted till last week i.e. 5 years with the sound sometimes fading and dissapearing entirely for longer and longer stretches, while the power was  O K (the lights were on!) It is easy to get the radio out and clean the connections but it was something electronic. So after 2 failures I considered putting in a different brand ----not as easy as it seems for a amateur like me---plus $$  So Hyundai ( Port Lincoln) god bless em did a exchange for a reconditioned i30 radio at a resonable price. Might be a common problem? I do drive on rough roads?  Hope this helps.
  • Hyundai i30 diesel manual 2013

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@Ally Adams  your early GD has known radio issues.  We have a member posting on moving to the later radio.

OP has an FD - different radio but has not updated us  :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Ally Adams  your early GD has known radio issues.  We have a member posting on moving to the later radio.

OP has an FD - different radio but has not updated us  :whistler:

Here it is..

:link: HOW TO: UPGRADE YOUR GD-01/GD-02 TO A GD-03 HEAD UNIT STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE

Offline Ally Adams

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Eyre Peninsula
   Does WOW express my gratitude for the helpfulness--- nzenigma, dazzler, vth and others---restores my faith in human nature !
  • Hyundai i30 diesel manual 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal