i30 Owners Club

which Battery and advice on changing it.

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Hello all... My 2011 1.6 CRDI finally refused to start because the battery died.. I have looked around and using the registration different on line Companies are trying to sell me a 480Ah Battery 005, that is smaller in size than the original.. The Original is a 600Ah battery with very little information on it.. Is the 480Ah Battery a straight replacement ? What 600Ah battery should I get ( UK )..

When I change the battery, is there anything I need to be aware of, Will the radio need coding and reprogramming ? Will I need to reprogram the keys ? Or any other battery change advice would be great..

Thanks from the UK..
  • 2011 1.6 CRDI COMFORT BLACK

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

When I change the battery, is there anything I need to be aware of, Will the radio need coding and reprogramming ? Will I need to reprogram the keys ? Or any other battery change advice would be great..

Thanks from the UK..

Shouldn't need to do anything with the Radio or key.  :goodjob:

I wouldn't like to see you get anything with a lower CCA than the original. Diesels definitely need a heavier duty batter than Petrols. I assume it relates to the extra stress applied by the pre-heating of the Glow Plugs and maybe to crank the higher compression motor.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Those 480 and 600 are not Ah (amp hours of capacity). I think they mighy be CCA (cold cranking amps). The capacity of the battery is probably something like 64Ah. Try read the markings on the battery. Might be on one side of the battery if not on top. It also depends if you have start & stop what kind of battery you can use.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Correct Sundiz.

Here's a definition and explanation.

:link: Battery Replacement | MotorWeek
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
The one you quote is too small really I think?

This is what I put on my UK 2009 1.6 CRDi (several years ago!)

:link: D15 Varta Silver Dynamic Car Battery 63Ah - Car Batteries

The Varta is basically a Bosch battery in disguise, for less money (same factory)

Check it would fit your physically, and not recommending this supplier....

Keep in mind these batteries have vents so you have to pick a dealer who knows have to package them properly if buying mail order.

Otherwise check out "car part for less" or "euro car parts" for what they have if you'd rather pick one up.

re-fit the insulation sleeve before putting on the connectors.

Don't over-tighten the terminal with the recuperation sensor in it when you put the new one in - as they can break.

Puff of lithium grease or Vaseline on the terminals when done.

You'll get EPS warning light on first start up. Steer all the way right, all the way left, turn off and back on to reset this.

Oh and the details of the old battery are all on the front - hiding behind the black insulation.  And if its a Solite (MF54-26GL) like mine was it didn't have handles so its quite heavy/awkward to lift out. new one easy.

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
You're right Sundiz, sorry, I got that wrong, the 480 and 600 are CCA..

Lorian, Yes my Battery is the very same, not having handles will make it more difficult to get out..

I also have to replace the battery tray as the bolts have all rusted and so has the battery clamp.. I have looked up a new clamp and £40 seems excessive just for a piece of metal so I am going to make a trip to my local scrappy to get one off another car..
 I had to fit the 480CCA battery to get me going and it seems to work OK at the moment, I used jump leads from a spare battery to keep 12v permanently just in case the radio got upset.. I will get a 600CCA battery as Lorian suggests, it will fit better too.. The 480CCA battery is way too small in size..
  The Anti Skid light was on before I changed the battery and since the new one was fitted the light has gone off.. Also I have noticed the tick over is smoother and the engine seems perkier.. I guess that's because there is a reliable power source..

Cheers Folks..

Offline golftoeye30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Hampshire
Without taking the Alternator off, is there any way of finding out what Amps it is ? Genuine Battery has very little information on it and there are so many Ah batteries out there.. I don't want to put a 75Ah battery on a 60A Alternator as it will never get to a proper charge..

Or does a 1.6crdi come with a large Alternator on it ??

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The battery the company my mechanic uses recommends a smaller battery.

I don't care because it has a long warranty and my mechanic restarts it each time the battery fails.

We are onto our third battery. The battery lasts about 18-24 months then gives up the ghost.

Diesels take a big load on the battery, I would go the bigger CCA.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I don't want to put a 75Ah battery on a 60A Alternator as it will never get to a proper charge..

I may think what you are trying to say with that, but that is not quite how car batteries & alternators work...
It is not recommended to buy huge battery because of the cost and size. If you do not need the extra capacity there is no need for larger battery. If your battery does not get enough charge, you drive too short distances. The original battery is about 60Ah. And the electric system has been designed to work with that. Adding up 10-15Ah more capacity is totally fine. You don't need new alternator, unless you drive only short distances. Still a cheaper option is to buy a smart charger and top it up when ever you need.

One of the biggest issues with batteries are short distances driving and cold weather. Especially with diesel glow plugs. Modern cars use more electricity than older ones. Battery needs to be warm to be able to take more current in it. Short drives and cold temps kill them fast.

Some modern cars (BMW) have even then battery info in the ECU, and you need to tell the computer what kind of battery and capacity you have as the alternator does not always charge the battery when engine is running. Also lots of DIY people mess it up when buing new batteries. They mix normal and AGM batteries and the issues come after few years as the system is not meant to be used with different kind of batteries. There is a small difference in the cell voltage.

I drive short distances in cold temps with a diesel. Therefore I have 74Ah (larger) battery with bigger CCA and with 2 different external chargers. Every time I plug my car to preheat, it will use onboard smartcharger to fill the battery with 4A max. Every two months or so I top it up with external smart charger.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Or does a 1.6crdi come with a large Alternator on it ??

If I remember correnctly I have 120A, or was it a 90A alternator in my car. You are fine with the 75Ah battery if it fits. I had to butcher the battery holder to fit 74Ah to my car.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:06:01 by sundiz »
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
According to Service Manual you need 600A CCA battery (for 120A alternator).

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

I also have to replace the battery tray as the bolts have all rusted and so has the battery clamp.. I have looked up a new clamp and £40 seems excessive just for a piece of metal so I am going to make a trip to my local scrappy to get one off another car..

Drop the plate in ketchup for a an hour or two to cleanup and then kurust it or just paint with hammerite and then give it a puff of lithium grease when in place and it will then outlive the car.

For anyone who had never greased this plate and bolt (at least in our more northerly climates) do it now and save yourself grief later. I do it when the cars new, then once in a while.

The plate is nothing special you can make one if it really is rusted to nothing. It can be made out of flat steel/aluminium, doesn really need the lip as long as the battery has its lip shape.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I also had a 2011 1.6 CRDi. The battery packed up when it was about 2 1/2 years old, but the dealer reckoned it wasn't a factory-fit battery. The car had been a dealer demo car before I bought it so I think someone swapped the battery for a crappy one. I replaced with a Bosch S4 630A 70Ah, which lasted for about 5 1/2 years, and has now been replaced with a Yuasa YBX3000 630A 72Ah.

I'd recommend buying from a store with a local branch so if there is a problem with the battery you can easily return it. I bought a  Yuasa AGM battery for my 2015 diesel, and it failed after 4 months. I took it in to my local GSF car parts, they tested it on the spot, agreed it was faulty and arranged for a replacement to be delivered.

• i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal