i30 Owners Club

head unit update

rfa · 12 · 2387

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
hi googling no result, could be me! what is the latest update for my i30 SE-Nav 2016 manufacture year 2015.
link given in cars documentation gives a link to hyundai UK but no informaton on site. can anyone help, as my maps are 2 years old, and having the car serviced a few days ago, dealership informed me that there were no updates available, funny in that they told me that
after the 2018 service. and they had it later after establishing that there were updates available  for a day to update, tell me it can take upto 7 hours,this is no doubt the reason that they tell porkie pies! and amongst other updates over 750,000 new roads were added (not a typo) l
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 18:04:04 by rfa »
  • i30 se nav

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
So is it system firmware as well as map updates you're looking for? did Hyundai UK provide GD i30's the same 3 year free maps as in Australia? future map updates are paid after the initial period in contract.

Unlikely to be firmware updates for the stereo system after a couple of years.

Possibly one of our UK members know where to obtain maps :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@AlanHo is pretty clever with this stuff, but now he's had a Kia for a while not sure if he'll be able to help with this one?   :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
Dazz is correct - I am not up to date with Hyundai map updates.  When I was last involved you downloaded updates from Navtec- then renamed "HERE". I just looked on their site and HYundai are no longer listed.  They used to cost about £125 and they sent you a memory stick with the files on.

With KIA you can contact their Customer services by Email and provide your car's VIN number together with the latest map file number installed in your car and they advise if an update is available. If there is an update issued - you get your dealer to do it - it takes no more than an hour or thereabouts (including any head unit firmware update) and costs £25.

Perhaps the same system applies to Hyundai  - no harm in getting advice from their customer services.

:link: Hyundai |Contact us
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazz is correct - I am not up to date with Hyundai map updates.  When I was last involved you downloaded updates from Navtec- then renamed "HERE". I just looked on their site and HYundai are no longer listed.  They used to cost about £125 and they sent you a memory stick with the files on.

With KIA you can contact their Customer services by Email and provide your car's VIN number together with the latest map file number installed in your car and they advise if an update is available. If there is an update issued - you get your dealer to do it - it takes no more than an hour or thereabouts (including any head unit firmware update) and costs £25.

Perhaps the same system applies to Hyundai  - no harm in getting advice from their customer services.

:link: Hyundai |Contact us

Thanks Alan. Even when you can't help you do!  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi, first sorry to see all your problems with perhaps more important things than map updates, the devastation is unbelievable and is going to take years to resolve.
Map updates in uk are free, upto 10 years after the life of a model of car has stopped being manufactured.
Dazzler my last update 2 years ago was not done when being serviced, i had to book it in for the day and it took 7 hours to update, hence the reluctance for dealerships to update, and inform customers that no updates are available. I also understand that the engine needs to be running whilst the update take place.
following my last update 750,000 new roads were added to the maps. (not a typo) my sat nav has 49 countries in the data base.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 13:04:06 by rfa »
  • i30 se nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi, first sorry to see all your problems with perhaps more important things than map updates, the devastation is unbelievable and is going to take years to resolve.
Map updates in uk are free, upto 10 years after the life of a model of car has stopped being manufactured.
Dazzler my last update 2 years ago was not done when being serviced, i had to book it in for the day and it took 7 hours to update, hence the reluctance for dealerships to update, and inform customers that no updates are available. I also understand that the engine needs to be running whilst the update take place.
following my last update 750,000 new roads were added to the maps. (not a typo) my sat nav has 49 countries in the data base.

Thanks for that. I can understand that a European map update might be more complicated than an Australian one. As you say many counties versus only one or two (our maps often bundle in NZ)

But, 7 hours with the engine running all that time seems absolutely crazy. They would definitely have to leave the car outside while that was happening or risk gassing the workshop staff. This would also put the vehicle at risk of theft and waste an awful lot of fuel!  :crazy1:

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Dazzler you've nailed it in one as they say! its beyond comprehension or common sense, when you consider that I plug my tomtom into my computer and its auto done. That said I did have a problem with my tomtom, which envolved tomtom customer care online attempted to carrying out the fix, and when it came to reinstalling the maps it took over 2.5 hours. The engine having to be running is down to the battery me thinks! as if I program a route before starting a journey, if it takes a while i'm presented with an onscreen message ref battery and start engine. modern technology!
Thanks for your help.
  • i30 se nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Dazzler you've nailed it in one as they say! its beyond comprehension or common sense, when you consider that I plug my tomtom into my computer and its auto done. That said I did have a problem with my tomtom, which envolved tomtom customer care online attempted to carrying out the fix, and when it came to reinstalling the maps it took over 2.5 hours. The engine having to be running is down to the battery me thinks! as if I program a route before starting a journey, if it takes a while i'm presented with an onscreen message ref battery and start engine. modern technology!
Thanks for your help.

Ironically I just updated my Garmin today for an upcoming trip involving a rental car. Even including a software update as well as a big map update probably 10 minutes tops!  :crazy2:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
When I had my i30 and bought an update from HERE - they sent you a memory stick with the update files on.

You plugged it into the USB port in the car and it automatically updated the files. You were asked to keep the engine running to ensure that nothing interrupted the upload. It took 25 minutes maximum - depending on the size of the update and whether firmware files required updating.

Any dealer who claims it takes 7 hours is either an idiot or taking you for a ride.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi, research and questions indicates that, that it does,  take a very long time to update, as alluded to my last update added over 750,000 new roads  plus new islands etc.  I would appreciate if you could please post what is your latest update as i'm having difficulty and a reluctance by Hyundai Customer Services to disclose the information.
  • i30 se nav

Offline rfa

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Information from the horses mouth as is said. Have to say 2 conversations with Hyundai customer services, Walsall did not give the definative answer. email to help@hyundai.co.uk did.
Software-XXX.EUR.SOP.007.3.190314
Firmware- XXX.EUR.0.5.332.190222.MICOM
Nav App-STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.190102.8c96d9f
Map Version- EUR.11.47.52.542.101.2(d.f2)

They do not know the date of the 2020 update availabilty, however they're normally released in the first quarter of each year.
So to sum up if your dealership tells you that there are no updates for your vehicle, it's best to check.
  • i30 se nav

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal