i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 2012 GD Steering Knock Issue

Mocha · 16 · 6753

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Hi,

Another post about the worn out steering coupler bushing issue plaguing the i30 GD models. I thought it would be easiest to summarise some questions here which i haven't come across answers to.

1) If I continue to use my car without replacing the rubber steering coupler, will there be any detrimental mechanical issues? I can certainly live with a clicking sound in the steering because it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car in any way.

2) Are there any reputable independent mechanics in inner Melbourne that could do this work? I want to avoid the Hyundai dealer if possible but no one I have called around so far will happily do the job. Aparently the key issue is that because they haven't done it before they are worried it will take double the time of Hyundai and also the recalibration of the steering sensor is a tricky job.

Cheers!!
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Hi,

Another post about the worn out steering coupler bushing issue plaguing the i30 GD models. I thought it would be easiest to summarise some questions here which i haven't come across answers to.

1) If I continue to use my car without replacing the rubber steering coupler, will there be any detrimental mechanical issues? I can certainly live with a clicking sound in the steering because it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car in any way.

2) Are there any reputable independent mechanics in inner Melbourne that could do this work? I want to avoid the Hyundai dealer if possible but no one I have called around so far will happily do the job. Aparently the key issue is that because they haven't done it before they are worried it will take double the time of Hyundai and also the recalibration of the steering sensor is a tricky job.

Cheers!!
How far is Pakenham to you? Fulcrums have a branch there and also a number of  businesses affiliated with them? They are likely to have some knowledge or at least can get it as Head Office is up here and I trust the main branches at least.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
How far is Pakenham to you? Fulcrums have a branch there and also a number of  businesses affiliated with them? They are likely to have some knowledge or at least can get it as Head Office is up here and I trust the main branches at least.

Thanks for the suggestion but that quite out of the way of South Melbourne. I guess I could try Pedder's Suspension and see if they've dealt with it before unless there's someone else..

Also, I've called Hyundaii about it but from memory they were saying the repair is about $875 in labour which seems exorbitant. 
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
We have given you the heads up on  dealer rip off.

We have also given you QLD  prices to do the job.

Therefore, you can explore local quotes and assess them with this evidence..
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Are you talking about in this thread?

Because that isn't the case..
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich

Thanks for the suggestion but that quite out of the way of South Melbourne. I guess I could try Pedder's Suspension and see if they've dealt with it before unless there's someone else..

Also, I've called Hyundaii about it but from memory they were saying the repair is about $875 in labour which seems exorbitant.
pedders can be ripoffs too, I'd go through the list of fulcrums in VIC, then pick up the phone and ask questions. $875 labour is insane. I can do one in 2 hours fumbling around.

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

pedders can be ripoffs too, I'd go through the list of fulcrums in VIC, then pick up the phone and ask questions. $875 labour is insane. I can do one in 2 hours fumbling around.

Haha, sounds like it might be cheaper to fly you down to melbourne for the day..

I'll look into Fulcrums. Thanks again
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Haha, sounds like it might be cheaper to fly you down to melbourne for the day..

I'll look into Fulcrums. Thanks again
I can assure you Fulcrum is more than capable.
I have been friends with the owner since before he started the business. about 3 or 4 years ago I gave him my FD to replace the bush. He did it for free because I was happy to leave the car with them for a week while they experimented with resetting the steering sensor using new equipment they had sourced in Europe and delving into the technical bits in the steering column. Prior to that their Stafford branch had done a couple with no issues.

Even my local Repco Certified workshop has dome several of them.

There's a product bulletin around somewhere with step by step instructions.

I wouldn't be leaving the bush unreplaced, having seen the bits which came out of mine.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Aussierob

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
I have just replaced mine on a 2010 i30 petrol manual and found a big help online. The screws on the motor were stripped already and I had to take the entire steering column out. I was told I would have to pay to recalibrate the steering sensor.
The help I found stated that MOST cars have a self-reset!!!!
After everything is back in place. Start the motor, Turn the steering all the way to the right. Then turn the steering all the way to the Left. Then turn it back to the center. Turn the motor off leave for a couple of minutes. Then turn the ignition to the on postion without starting the motor. Then turn it off. All worked fine. Just a bit of info I saved $125
  • 2011 Hyundai i30 Trophy Wagon

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I have just replaced mine on a 2010 i30 petrol manual and found a big help online. The screws on the motor were stripped already and I had to take the entire steering column out. I was told I would have to pay to recalibrate the steering sensor.
After everything is back in place. Start the motor, Turn the steering all the way to the right. Then turn the steering all the way to the Left. Then turn it back to the center. Turn the motor off leave for a couple of minutes. Then turn the ignition to the on postion without starting the motor. Then turn it off. All worked fine. Just a bit of info I saved $125
If you dismantle it and reassembled  everything back into the original position , you can get away with that but if it's out too much it will need the steering angle sensor zeroised again with an appropriate diagnostic tool.  Does not take long, easy $125 for someone

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
If you dismantle it and reassembled  everything back into the original position , you can get away with that but if it's out too much it will need the steering angle sensor zeroised again with an appropriate diagnostic tool.  Does not take long, easy $125 for someone
Yeah.  It worked for me once too. I can't remember now why I needed to do it but I found the method on a BMW forum. Not quite exactly how described above but very similar.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

Thought you had searched our data base.  :undecided: $240 is the price charged by two QLD shops. Its a 2.5 hr job.
The reset you talk about is instant , no waiting time, and pertains to 'ESP off' after battery has been disconnected.

As tw has said, its down to luck and careful work to avoid a reset. A reset is quick and falls within the 2.5 hrs.

$875 is cheap for a Hyundai dealer. They were up at $1500 - $2000 before tw2005 and I started to peel away their BS and posted on the topic .

Incidentally, all the repairs I have done have been on the earlier FD at about 90 to 110,000km. I presume your GD is around those Ks.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

Thought you had searched our data base.  :undecided: $240 is the price charged by two QLD shops. Its a 2.5 hr job.
The reset you talk about is instant , no waiting time, and pertains to 'ESP off' after battery has been disconnected.

As tw has said, its down to luck and careful work to avoid a reset. A reset is quick and falls within the 2.5 hrs.

$875 is cheap for a Hyundai dealer. They were up at $1500 - $2000 before tw2005 and I started to peel away their BS and posted on the topic .

Incidentally, all the repairs I have done have been on the earlier FD at about 90 to 110,000km. I presume your GD is around those Ks.

Thanks for that. I have just been quoted $500-550 for the fix through a Fulcrums workshop. Maybe I'll call round a bit more to see if there's anyone that's done it before.

If only I were back in Brisbane..

Also, I haven't had the steering column pulled apart or anything like that but the 'thunking' noise is the same as what is described online and posted in various youtube videos. Though I haven't seen any GD models so far with the issue. It's really an educated guess at this point. Also the car has done 73,000 km
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline Mocha

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Update for anyone that comes across this thread in the future.

Ultratune Kingsway in South Melbourne quoted three hours labour (estimated) at $120ph and have done this repair multiple times.
  • i30 2012 GD 1.8l

Offline ideal09

• 2nd Gear

• gr Greece
I have the same issue with my car. I heard two prices for the repair, 150€ and 50€ . I 'll try it to fix it alone.
  • i30 GD 1.4cc 90ps CRDI 2012

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have the same issue with my car. I heard two prices for the repair, 150€ and 50€ . I 'll try it to fix it alone.

Its not a complicated DIY. Go to our search where there are photos and instructions.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal