i30 Owners Club

i30 SR Premium MY18 Auto-Link

GRB · 13 · 3435

Offline GRB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum so be gentle with me.

I’m due to pick up my new (to me) i30 SR Premium on Tuesday which I’m super excited about.

One of my many questions is about the Auto Link. Is it standard on the MY18 or do I need to purchase the dongle from Hyundai? Is it the standard Auto Link or the Premium?

Also, has anyone had any joy with doing simple mods like air filter and chip set upgrades and how much difference did it make. Are these the cheapest mods with best results?

Cheers!
  • i30 SR Premium MY 18

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome GRB,

Never fear, gentle Dazz is here.  :snigger:

By my understanding you should automatically get the dongle free with the SR (I did with my 2017 non-premium SR) I am also believe by 2018 they were offering the Autolink Premium with the Premium model (at no extra charge)

To be completely honest I gave up on Autolink with my SR I found it very intermittent and buggy (seldom worked for me) with MY Samsung S8, mind you Android Auto was patchy too at times making me wonder if it was my phone to blame.

I did put a drop in K and N Air filter  in my SR and felt it did make a very minor difference to fuel economy (maybe .1 or .2 L/100 kms) and performance and I don't think I imagined a slight induction noise which sounded pretty good under load.

A good mod as doesn't compromise warranty and insurance like chip tuning or ECU mods can.

Congrats on the new car. My Base SR DCT was probably the best car I've had out of 34 cars. I often wished I'd gone the Premium (in hindsight) as although I'm not a fan/user of Sunroofs or heated and cooled seats, the sum of all the extras over the base does make a compelling case.   
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
G'day GRB and welcome.

Congratulations on the new purchase .. As Dazz said, being the Premium variant you should be getting the AutoLink Premium [yay for remote starting the car!].. Make sure when you collect your vehicle that the actual OBDII dongle is activated and paired to the VIN of your car. Some dealerships have been known to overlook this part of the delivery process and owners have had to take their vehicles back in for the service department to activate it. I also believe that there's a "continual service" caveat in that if you continue to have Hyundai service your vehicle then there's no ongoing cost, however if you get it serviced elsewhere by an accredited mechanic then it's likely you'll have to pay a fee if you want to continue to use it. I'd have to double check that though, I believe it's the first 12 months free as the service requires a 3/4G SIM card to work.

If you have any issues with it, keep a detailed record of them. I kept a detailed spreadsheet as my AutoLink Premium was constantly "timing out" the request and eventually I had the OBDII module replaced under warranty and have had no problems since then. Here's the initial thread I started which has the link to the spreadsheet. And there's two tabs on that spreadsheet. The only other problem I had was the bluetooth audio [on multiple phones] kept cutting out for a second or two and then resuming, sometimes completely cutting out in which I had to pull over and restart the whole thing, the service department updated the firmware and since then no issues.

Did you option any accessories on your purchase?

Adz.
  • 2019 Hyundai i30 N-Line Premium - 1.6lt T - DCT - Fluidic Metal

Offline GRB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thank you both for the great advice. 
I picked up my car yesterday and it's everything I'd hoped it was.  My wife is excited that it's blue, I'm excited that it's an amazing car!
There are a couple of issues that I can hopefully get sorted in the next couple of days...

The sunroof closes really slowly most of the time, and not at all some of the time.  I'm hoping this can be fixed under warranty?
The car has missed it's 40k service (there's 46k on the clock) and i'm really hoping this won't mess with the factory warranty.
I can't get AutoLink Premium working.  It won't accept my VIN #.  Normal Autolink work fine though!

I've got it booked in for a service tomorrow with hyundai, so hopefully they sort it all out.
  • i30 SR Premium MY 18

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thank you both for the great advice. 
I picked up my car yesterday and it's everything I'd hoped it was.  My wife is excited that it's blue, I'm excited that it's an amazing car!
There are a couple of issues that I can hopefully get sorted in the next couple of days...

The sunroof closes really slowly most of the time, and not at all some of the time.  I'm hoping this can be fixed under warranty?
The car has missed it's 40k service (there's 46k on the clock) and i'm really hoping this won't mess with the factory warranty.
I can't get AutoLink Premium working.  It won't accept my VIN #.  Normal Autolink work fine though!

I've got it booked in for a service tomorrow with hyundai, so hopefully they sort it all out.

So it was a private purchase? Not a car yard? Even if the warranty on the running gear has been compromised by the late service it shouldn't affect the repair of the sunroof unless there was maintenance specified for the sunroof in the 40K service (unlikely) :fingers:

Try and find a friendly salesman or service manager at one of your local dealers that will help sort out the Premium Autolink. Unless someone on here has some tips.

Offline GRB

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Thanks very much.

No, I purchased it from a dealer, but they were Holden not a Hyundai dealer.
I took it to get serviced yesterday at the local hyundai, and it go a clean bill of health.  Sunroof is sorted (just needed a clean a lube) the black plastic inserts on the wheels are getting replaced under warranty as is the broken switch on the drivers seat.  They were really good there, and warranty is still intact.  Apparently it's only fitted with a standard auto-link, not the premium.  They reckon it's $450 to upgrade to premium, so that's veneer going to happen.  They also said that the standard auto-link is being discontinued later this year and the only option will be premium.

It's such a great car, so much fun to drive, especially through the corners!  Way better than my Golf ever was!

My only gripe is that the dual-clutch transmission changes gears too early at high revs, even in 'manual' mode.  The DSG in the golf was a better at holding in the gear you wanted it to.
  • i30 SR Premium MY 18

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Can you please post a picture of your OBDII module? If the normal AutoLink App is working fine that might indicate that you only have the normal module and the premium features will therefore be unavailable for you.

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
Apparently it's only fitted with a standard auto-link, not the premium.  They reckon it's $450 to upgrade to premium, so that's veneer going to happen.
Whoops, hit the reply button before reading that post .. apologies.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@GRB That's great... With the DCT changes, I think it is Hyundai trying to improve fuel  economy,  not a strong point in the past.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@GRB That's great... With the DCT changes, I think it is Hyundai trying to improve fuel  economy,  not a strong point in the past.
Take T's Kona for a spin in comfort -floor it !
.A's shifts up at 6000 1st, 2nd, 3rd,   :evil:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Take T's Kona for a spin in comfort -floor it !
.A's shifts up at 6000 1st, 2nd, 3rd,   :evil:

It would be my last drive..  :sweating:

They are a pocket rocket.  :goodjob2: :goodjob: :evil:

Offline mrpayner

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Ballarat
the dual-clutch transmission changes gears too early at high revs, even in 'manual' mode.
I'm having trouble understanding this .. in manual mode you have the control of the gears.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
As there is no direct connection to box internals,  manual is an electronic suggestion. So sometimes you can push up but the computer says "nah not happening ".
Only a straight manual has a direct connection.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal