i30 Owners Club

Strange starting issues.

Offline Dryroasted

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
I've had some starting issues for a while now, after inserting the key and going to start you get nothing, the starter motor goes to click but nothing. I've had a new battery installed, a new starter motor and earth earthing straps yet still got the same problem. I can start the car by tapping the starter motor but this has been on the "old" starter and now the new one, the garage has tested starter and is fine. Strangely if I start it by tapping the starter and say go to fill up then try to start it will start but not it seems if left for any length of time. Any advice would be appreciated as pulling hair out.
  • I30 2011

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
Did the mechanic/garage checked wiring going to starter motor (battery to starter and ECU to starter), did they checked charging system?

Offline Dryroasted

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Hi Paolo yes all electrics checked came back ok, it's an intimitant fault so it's only happened once when they had it and they changed the earth strap and all connections at battery and starter, but problem still happening sadly.
  • I30 2011

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Bad connection in plug for solenoid.
When you tap it, something is moving fractionally. 
 Don't know if solenoid is part of starter, if no -possible solenoid. If yes , and new starter behaving same as old one, starter unit not problem.
Try removing plug and check wiring and connectors or replace plug.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Bad connection in plug for solenoid.
When you tap it, something is moving fractionally. 
 Don't know if solenoid is part of starter, if no -possible solenoid. If yes , and new starter behaving same as old one, starter unit not problem.
Try removing plug and check wiring and connectors or replace plug.

:wss:

I assume that it was a NEW starter, not one from a wrecker. = slim chance of two duds.

It could be a corroded connection at the battery terminal. Tapping and prating about is enough to disturb it into life.

When it is not starting, use a  wire from 12+ to the solenoid > does it start? > do you hear it click?
Use a jumper lead from battery 12+ to starter 12+ > does it start using key? > if not add the above solenoid connection.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dryroasted

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Yeah it was new starter, or so they say, chances of another dud like you say I thought would  be slim they say they've checked it and it's fine. I'll try the wire and jumper lead suggested and see how it goes. If it is a dud starter what are my grounds for refund as they can just keep saying it's fine and fobbing me off I paid with credit card if that makes any difference.
  • I30 2011

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
If it is a dud starter what are my grounds for refund

:crazy1:  Call Boris. I think he does all that stuff now.

I've had a new battery installed, a new starter motor and earth earthing straps yet still got the same problem.

I would go back to the garage a tell them to solve it given all the replacements ( apparently unnecessary) and no remedy.
Im 6000kms away  so Im just best guessing
If you can DIY with the cables, thats you best hope. To give the mechanic some credit he's probably guessing too because he does not see the car cold.

it was new starter, or so they say,

:scared: Have you looked at it? Does it look new?  :crazy2:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:34:50 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal