i30 Owners Club

2009 FD CW Petrol 2L crankshaft sensor fault?

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Have asked on the FB forum but looking for a second opinion.  4 weeks old to me FD wagon 144000kms, 2 weeks ago randomly would crank but not start.  Searching here and elsewhere I thought it might have been the chip sensor in the ignition as I started to note the key symbol on the dash not light up when it happened, further checking also shows me the RPM gauge does not move when cranking.
So I was thinking of replacing the chip sensor ring but on FB a guy thinks its more likely to be the crankshaft position sensor since the RPM gauge doesn't move at all when 'dry' cranking.
Still just under warranty, want to give the correct info to the (non Hyundai) dealer so its fixed the first time, thanks.

• 2009 FD cw Wagon, petrol 2L, Auto, White

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
Honestly it is due to mechanic to properly diagnose the issue. Meaning checking crankshaft sensor, its wiring, immo antenna, etc.
Could be both at the same time.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Why not take it to a Hundai dealer if it's under warranty?

If its the smatra immobiliser coil it will push a code -  P1690 if my memory serves.

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
10 year old used car bought from a non brand dealer, here in my state there is a 1 month 1500km warranty back to the dealer you buy from, if I go elsewhere I'll be paying. 

Looks like I need to drop it back to them for their workshop to have a look, I'll let you know how it gets on.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
10 year old used car bought from a non brand dealer, here in my state there is a 1 month 1500km warranty back to the dealer you buy from, if I go elsewhere I'll be paying. 

Looks like I need to drop it back to them for their workshop to have a look, I'll let you know how it gets on.

Fingers crossed  :sweating:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Have asked on the FB forum

Facebook  :crazy1:  :spitty: :spitty: no wonder you dont have any confidence.

This is a one off. No RPM = crank sensor. Change it.

OVER AND OUT.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Have asked on the FB forum

Facebook  :crazy1:  :spitty: :spitty: no wonder you dont have any confidence.

This is a one off. No RPM = crank sensor. Change it.

OVER AND OUT.
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Dealers mechanic had it for 4 days, of course the fault never occurred for them but they have replaced the crankshaft sensor under warranty based on what I had diagnosed.  Had it back for 2 days now and no re-occurrence yet.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the update..  :fingers:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks for the update..  :fingers:

'Thanks Gary' would be nice too.   :whistler:

:mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I thanked you :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Thanks Gary.  2 weeks later and still not reoccurred. 
PS - thanks again Gary.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Thanks Gary

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Well f me, I was about an hour too early.  Occurred again today multiple times.  Same as before, no RPM flicker.
Question though, sometimes when it happens I get a flashing security light, sometimes I get no security light at all. 
Is there a difference there in what the car is saying is the issue?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Well f me, I was about an hour too early.  Occurred again today multiple times.  Same as before, no RPM flicker.
Question though, sometimes when it happens I get a flashing security light, sometimes I get no security light at all. 
Is there a difference there in what the car is saying is the issue?

The sensor was changed and a regular fault disappeared. Symptoms still go toward sensor. I would LOOK and check three things. Did they really change the sensor? Was it new and not just an old one lying around the workshop? Is the connector clean and secure?

PS thanks on hold  :goodjob2: :cool:

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I've had a hell of a time getting it started again today.  Funnily enough an angry bang on the steering column appears to be effective.  Have had a look and crank sensor top appears clean, so could be new, or just well cleaned.  Engine currently hot so don't want to be using electrical cleaner around it right now.
Anyway, rang dealer and I'm dropping it back in to mechanic on my way work today for them to have another look at, hopefully this time it faults while they have it, I did manage to get video of it faulting this morning for them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've had a hell of a time getting it started again today.  Funnily enough an angry bang on the steering column appears to be effective.  Have had a look and crank sensor top appears clean, so could be new, or just well cleaned.  Engine currently hot so don't want to be using electrical cleaner around it right now.
Anyway, rang dealer and I'm dropping it back in to mechanic on my way work today for them to have another look at, hopefully this time it faults while they have it, I did manage to get video of it faulting this morning for them.

:fingers:

Offline LesterPK

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Well I have it back again, mechanic realised it was out of their zone and called in a car security guy who analysed the system and they've ended up replacing the immobiliser ring around the ignition barrel as well as recommending one of the keys not be used as it was apparently giving funny readings when near the car.  I guess we'll see, stay tuned for the next exciting instalment.
Thanks Gary.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well I have it back again, mechanic realised it was out of their zone and called in a car security guy who analysed the system and they've ended up replacing the immobiliser ring around the ignition barrel as well as recommending one of the keys not be used as it was apparently giving funny readings when near the car.  I guess we'll see, stay tuned for the next exciting instalment.
Thanks Gary.

That's a pain only being able to use one key. The keys can be recoded.. Strange? As you say, let's see what happens next.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
hi Lester,
The aerial coil failure can be intermittent or just stay open. When it fails, the immobilser light ( key symbol) on the cluster illuminates or flashes then goes out completely. Car will not start. But from memory, the REV counter still moves while cranking.
I assume we still have not scanned any codes.

Im not much into coincidence, so I find the apparent 'cure' after the crank sensor change, curious.  We wait and see.  :phone1: Cheers G.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal