i30 Owners Club

Cruise control ! please help ! New member !

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
Hello Guys, this is my first post as I bought my used 2013 i30 WITH 70K miles a week ago (CZECH build)

The car has no extras at all !!! I mean none at all:
- No driver dome lights (which was very weird)
- No parking sensors
- No armrest box !!
- No electric mirrors
- No steering wheel buttons except trip and reset

I plan to add most of these in the upcoming months and I have searched the whole web for information on cruise control buttons.

I have checked and I have a 6-pin clockspring (as expected with such a ''no-extras'' car) so I am planning to replace it with a 12-pin one I found on ebay. Before buying the buttons I plan to change the headunit to an android 10 one which has canbus steering wheel support.
From what I understand since the cruise control indications are visible on my dash, by changing these and adding new wiring I will be set.

HOWEVER, I have seen people claiming that the wiring might be  reversed so I need to re-arrange the pins or that the ECU might need an update to enable cruise control or that there may not be a connection from the clockspring to the ECU.

Furthermore, even though I have seen many people claiming to have succeded I dont know if the flex steer option will be activated, since I haven't seen anyone confirming it, and so I don't know which buttons are more suited for my case to buy.

Also I have seen sellers claimming that  in order for the cruise control buttons to work you need to have a changed headunit or they won't work. ???? Is that the case ???? 
Quoted from seller:
(1. The buyer must check the car is a newly installation DVD GPS player . Because the right side of cruise button need the DVD player to support . There is a "steering wheel setting" on the Player .
2. When you setting the function on the player , you need confirm the steering wheel control cable plug on the back of DVD player has been connected the steering wheel .(Normally , the DVD player does not connect it !)

I feel lost in the infromation and I just hope just the clockspring will do the magic but any clarification from anyone that had the same issue with me would be very much appreciated (also does flex steer work on others adding the buttons, is it already an option in the ECU ???)
From a depsarately confused new memeber

Thank you in advance !!! :)

• 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, Grey

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon:

Welcome, interesting post. I am still waking up and it is not something I am clued up on, so I will let other better qualified members reply.  Good luck with it.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 wow, that's going to keep you busy.  I  see a lot of visits to the wreckers or buying one that's been hit in the rear for parts.  :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
Welcome to the forum, this place is the shiznit!

My car was almost the same as yours. Same year, same factory, same basic features (although I have parking sensors and armrest box). I guess these cars are just about coming out of warranty and now get sold by their first owners, so there will be more...

I bought a set of steering wheel buttons with cruise, audio/phone but no flex steer (useless feature IMHO). Cruise control worked after putting the buttons in. No change to head unit.
I had to replace the clock spring to make the audio work. Posted that in another thread today.
You don't need to change any wiring. All the steering wheel buttons work by using a resistor divider and the voltage coming out is measured by the ECU. I think I even swapped the connectors of the steering wheel buttons a few times and it makes no difference.

No idea if it will work with an android unit, if it won't it is not the car's fault. I got the GD-03 android auto unit, there is one for sale on ebay.com.au for a good price right now if you can get the seller to ship it to the northern hemisphere. Search this forum for GD-03 and you'll see why we love it here.
Your car, like mine, probably does not have a microphone wired into the roof. The GD-03 has one built into the unit. Check your android unit if it has a mic built-in, if not you have to wire it in to the plug on the back.

Also, double, triple-check before buying that the aftermarket unit will fit your fascia. There are two versions of the climate control buttons fascia and the android unit must fit yours.

Parking sensors: I have them but the visibility to the rear is a nightmare. You probably also do not have a self-dimming mirror. So I would recommend a complete mirror kit with reversing camera, or just a camera wired into an aftermarket head unit. I spent about $80 for a full HD kit and it is brilliant, and also works as front+back dashcam.

Aliexpress Link
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:53:46 by itsonlyaudio »
  • i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@itsonlyaudio  :Agoodpost: :judges: :ta:

Hopefully shiznit is a good thing!  :happyjumper:

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
 Thank you so much for the great response !!!

Yes I was planning to install a camera with the aftermarket unit but I will look into the GD-03 unit as suggested and compare them first !!
Then I will change the clockspring and install some buttons I can find and hopefully everything will work fine :)

I will keep you updated with pictures on how this car will turn into a full extra car :p

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
Be quick, this is an absolute bargain:

eBay

People have paid up to AUD500 for this unit, so this is a steal:

FYI, I paid AUD220 + AUD80 for shipping.
The trick is that the seller advertises this as a GD-01 which it is not.

This is a GD-01 for comparison

It appears as if the USB cable and breakout panel that normally comes with the unit is missing, which is a bummer. But you can easily make your own and wire it into the older USB panel.

@Dazzler : urban dictionary. Thanks for making me feel young lol...
  • i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
Thank you so much but my car is missing the usb and aux port anyway so I thought an aftermarket one would be a better option.
However this is a very good bargain but I was not planning to buy one until next month when I will get paid.
If this is the android auto version then I will ask the seller if he can ship it to my country and at what cost and if it is still on sale until next month I will grab it.

I know thats a lot of ifs :p but thank you very much for the help !!!

Offline itsonlyaudio

• 1st Gear

• Warsaw, PL
I'm not sure you want to wake sleeping dogs... just buy the thing before the seller works out what he has there :)
It is possible currently the unit only does Apple car play and you have to flash the latest firmware onto it to enable the Android auto.

I have a spare USB panel if you really need one, if you don't have the panel you can just take a standard USB cable, wire it to the head unit, and leave the socket dangling under the dashboard somewhere for your phone to attach to.
  • i30cw 2013 1.6 auto

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
Yes that was I was planning since I eould have to nake a hole to fit the usb panel as there is not even a hole for it but thing is I gave my whole salary on the car last week so O have to wait till next month... O have already borrowe some to get the car ;p

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Dazzler : urban dictionary. Thanks for making me feel young lol...

I am 63! Surely you aren't older than that!  :snigger:

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus
Just to give you guys an update I have installed an android 10 aftermarket headunit and it works perfectly .. even installed a backup camera tha goes right where your licence plate light is whichbis very convenient.

Also I have succeded installing cruise and radio buttons just by replacing the clockspring with a 12 pin one. It was really easy just plug and play.

Offline Matqueror

• 1st Gear

• cy Cyprus

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:brilliant: Thanks so much fo :brilliant:r coming back to us with an update and pictures.  :judges: :victory:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal