i30 Owners Club

Rear numberplate lights - impact damage

wbm00 · 6 · 1625

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Seems someone has hit the rear bumper and caused the two rear numberplate light brackets to break away from the internal fixing within the bumper... or a family member has reversed into something and not realised...

Has anyone removed the rear bumper and if so, would it be a straightforward job to replace broken fixings? Or might this need the attention of a bodyshop?

The bumper itself has a scratch to it but only noticeable upon close inspection.
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If I remember correctly the support bracket/clip for the registration lights is built into the light housing, so as long as the hole in the bumper isn't broken then a new light housing should be all that's required.

Like these :link: 2x18LED License Number Plate Light Lamp For Hyundai I30 5D Hatchback Wagon | eBay

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
Easier to explain with a photo - it looks like both light housings have popped out of the holes in the bumper. Used tape as a precaution to stop them dangling out, but not really needed as the housing is too big to fit through the holes.

I was thinking about removing the bumper to see if the housings will simply click back into the holes...

I have looked at the bumper retaining clips under and around the bumper and they do not seem to be forced/at an angle resulting from the impact.

I therefore presume there shouldn't therefore be any issues refitting the bumper afterwards? Any thoughts?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I did a temporary fix for mine when I got rear ended in my SR which was so effective it could have been permanent.

I had some heavy duty adhesive plastic film.  Actually designed for protecting the top of the rear bumper from scratches. It never got used for the original purpose.

I cut a piece about an inch all around bigger than the hole the number plate lights fitted into. In my case I had access from another angle once I put it in place to bring the lights back down and stick them to the film, thus holding them in place.

I still have some if you think this could work for you. I could post you a piece if you gave me the area you need.  :idea: :D :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
the housing is too big to fit through the holes.

If the holes are still oblong in shape ( under the photo of some tape  :rolleyes:) the retaining clips on the lights have probably broken. Thats all you need. Push in new ones from underneath bumper........  :head_butt: after you plug light bulb in..... :head_butt: from underneath bumper.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
I did a temporary fix for mine when I got rear ended in my SR which was so effective it could have been permanent.

I had some heavy duty adhesive plastic film.  Actually designed for protecting the top of the rear bumper from scratches. It never got used for the original purpose.

I cut a piece about an inch all around bigger than the hole the number plate lights fitted into. In my case I had access from another angle once I put it in place to bring the lights back down and stick them to the film, thus holding them in place.

I still have some if you think this could work for you. I could post you a piece if you gave me the area you need.  :idea: :D :goodjob:
Good idea Dazzler - I have some sticky plastic (aimed at protecting carpets during building work) so that should be good enough. Cheers mate, appreciate your helpfulness without the unprofessional attitude... :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal