i30 Owners Club

Screeching sound on start-up

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My car is a 2015 1.6 CRDi, which has now covered about 57,000 miles. Starting a few months ago, it intermittently emits a screeching sound from the engine bay on start-up. It sounds like it's coming from the gearbox side of the engine, and will stop after a few minutes running. Today, I was able to get a good video of when it was happening, and I've posted this on youtube.

:link: Screeching hyundai diesel - YouTube

Has anyone seen & heard this before? The car is due for a service in 2 weeks, and as it's the last service before the warranty expires I'd like to get it resolved. Pushing the clutch in and out makes some difference to the noise, but doesn't make it go away completely.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow that's loud! Could be the  thrust bearing (also known as the throw out bearing) The fact you say it varies when cluch depressed would support this theory.   :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Why wait 2 weeks for the service?  Take video with you.
 Hard to get a directional fix on the source. At first I thought turbo, but like Dazz, the clutch movement makes me think throw out bearing.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Yes, a dry thrust bearing crossed my mind. I have to press the clutch in to start the car so the bearing would be spinning as it starts up, but when I release the clutch it should stop. I was hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me 'this is what it turned out to be'. I'll show the video to the dealer. Problem is that it is very intermittent, it might not do it again for weeks, and you can bet it won't do it when it's at the garage.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I was hoping someone has seen this before and can tell me 'this is what it turned out to be'.

Yes,  fault occurs on many makes & models.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
As a follow-up to this, my car had a service today. I showed them the video clip, but of course they couldn't get it to do it whilst it was there. They did find that the heat shield over the turbo was loose so they tightened it up. Whether it was rattling and causing the noise is debatable, all I can do is see if it re-occurs.
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal