i30 Owners Club

2019 i30 N Line Headlight (Globe removal "tool")

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hi All,

lol, been a long time since I have been here on the forum, but have just purchased a new 2019 N Line. UK spec car.

Now I want to replace the standard H7 headlight bulbs with H7 osram night breaker unlimited bulbs.

There are 3 bulbs in each headlight, low, main and static turn. The main and static both have the old fashioned plugs and clips to hold them in place and are easy to change, but the low beam is in a really tight spot and has a holder that I don't seem able to remove.

Any one know how this type is removed as poor pic below shows. I have tried to turn it anti clockwise but it seems to not want to move if that is how its undone, All help appreciated.

Offline Purplehazeffc

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth, WA
Yep they turn.   
But they also can be damn hard.  The left side for me was tight as & took about 30 mins to get undone.

I also pretty sure that they turn anti-clockwise.
  • PD i30 SR Manual Phoenix Orange

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I must have been really lucky with my SR. I found them (all 4) headlight globes easy to swap. One of the easiest cars to upgrade globes in I've ever had.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
lol - made a small tool to unlock / lock the bulb holder.  32mm sink waste pipe x 60mm long. Just cut 2 notches in the end. Works a treat  :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

lol - made a small tool to unlock / lock the bulb holder.  32mm sink waste pipe x 60mm long. Just cut 2 notches in the end. Works a treat  :happydance:

Well done! A photo would be great when you get a chance please.  :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well that's a bit special. Thanks for doing that!  :goodjob:

I better sticky this topic.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Ah 3D printers! :DoubleKiss:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline 8jlogan

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I know it's been a while since this thread had an update, but it was the only one I could find which detailed the problem I encountered. I spent ages earlier today trying to loosen the bulb holder and what I found really helped was a small paint roller body which gave enough of a 'hook' to fit in the tight space and allowed me to push/pull as required with the necessary leverage from the handle. Didn't take much effort at all and saved a few more bloody fingers! 2/3 minutes of getting both bulbs out vs 20 minutes of trying beforehand.

• I30 Nav SE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I know it's been a while since this thread had an update, but it was the only one I could find which detailed the problem I encountered. I spent ages earlier today trying to loosen the bulb holder and what I found really helped was a small paint roller body which gave enough of a 'hook' to fit in the tight space and allowed me to push/pull as required with the necessary leverage from the handle. Didn't take much effort at all and saved a few more bloody fingers! 2/3 minutes of getting both bulbs out vs 20 minutes of trying beforehand.

Cheers for that!  :goodjob: Oh, and  :welcome:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal