i30 Owners Club

How to replace coil pack on i30 FD 09

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Hi,

I have an i30 FD 09 Petrol that I want to change the coil pack on. How do I go about doing this for this model?

Thanks.
  • 2009 i30 Hatch (Manual)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
is this due to some wish list, maintenance, theological revelation or a particular fault?  :mrgreen:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
mate you seem to be trying to do some work on various areas on this car..  Really cool  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
You can get a workshop manual on line / ebay for $6-10. You will learn more by using it first. If you get stuck  Im happy to help. Cheers
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Trying to diagnose a rough idle. I have connected an OBD2 scanner, and there are no fault codes. But the idle doesn't seem quite right. The RPM is fairly stable around the 850rpm on idle, but it slightly fluctuates. Inside the car however it does feel somewhat rough. Also from 2.5k - 3k I notice there is some hesitation from the engine.

Any ideas?

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, I would check the condition of you spark plugs and leads first. check the gap on your plugs and check the porcelain for  dark stripes from the top downwards, then check each inside of the leads for any evidence of  discolouration. I am assuming your engine has leads  running to a coil pack and not coil on plug. I had something very similar happen on a 2.0l FD 2010 petrol.  The obd2 didn't give an engine code until it got really bad.  The 2.0l is a wasted spark system which if one of the two coils went bad, 2 cylinders would be affected ( i'm guessing very rough running).  Mine started 3 months after new plugs (dealer serviced), I replaced leads and plugs and it went away for about a year. I replaced leads and plugs again and got a better spark plug gap tool. I think the old tool set too much of  gap and made the current search for the easiest path.

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Thanks very much for your reply. I have had the spark plugs recently changed by my mechanic but not the leads.

Are the leads easy to change? Do I just unbolt the rocker cover and then unplug the old and replug the new and then put rocker cover back on?

Cheers.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I have a Diesel but from petrol cars I've had, yes, that's how you would change them, as long as by rocker cover you mean the plastic cover over the top of your engine. A rocker cover is a metal case bolted over your rockers, lifters, camshafts, etc.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Sorry you’re right I mean the plastic casing. Thanks for your help!

Offline Endeavor

• 2nd Gear

• ca Canada
      BC
mate you seem to be trying to do some work on various areas on this car..  Really cool  :goodjob2: :goodjob2:
You can get a workshop manual on line / ebay for $6-10. You will learn more by using it first. If you get stuck  Im happy to help. Cheers
I have a manual for a 2.0 petrol cw.  Send me your email and will fwd tonyou. There was even a frew manual link i've seen but never tried it
  • 2012 Elantra Touring FD 2.0 Auto

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Seems early warning saved you wasting money on the proposed coil pack change.

Tell me about the rough idle. The online manual .... that you DID buy???  :whistler: will lead you to the parts I describe.

Does the roughness seem to be just one cylinder?  If you pull out then reinsert just one plug lead at a time, does the engine get rougher and revs drop? If one of them is removed and makes no difference ( or less difference compared to the same procedure on the other 3) that is the faulty cylinder.
Most likely plug or lead. Swapping them to another cylinder will confirm this. Outside chance its the coil.

Other areas to observe are intake air leaks and  PCV malfunction .

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Thanks nzenigma. I did purchase a manual off ebay for $28, however it was very confusing, and a huge download (something like 10GB). Thanks to Endeavor for offering to send me one.

nzenigma, thanks. I will check unpluging each plug at a time, is it safe to do that while the engine is on?

Cheers.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks nzenigma. I did purchase a manual off ebay for $28, however it was very confusing, and a huge download (something like 10GB). Thanks to Endeavor for offering to send me one.

nzenigma, thanks. I will check unpluging each plug at a time, is it safe to do that while the engine is on?

Cheers.

This job needs to be done on a running engine.
It wont hurt the car ; but you can get a zap. :evil: :evil:

Modern spark leads are quite well insulated, but when taken off the spark plug the high voltage will be looking for another route > via you  :cool:
 Best way is to loosen the lead (s) where they enter the top of the engine . A bit of WD40 helps. Then use an insulated screw driver to briefly flip the lead up off the spark plug and then push it down again. That way you will easily hear the change in performance.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

Cheers.

This job needs to be done on a running engine.
It wont hurt the car ; but you can get a zap. :evil: :evil:

Modern spark leads are quite well insulated, but when taken off the spark plug the high voltage will be looking for another route > via you  :cool:
 Best way is to loosen the lead (s) where they enter the top of the engine . A bit of WD40 helps. Then use an insulated screw driver to briefly flip the lead up off the spark plug and then push it down again. That way you will easily hear the change in performance.

If unlucky and you get zapped,  you'll know why livestock avoid the white tape fence  :Shocked: :Shocked:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thanks nzenigma. I did purchase a manual off ebay for $28, however it was very confusing,
Cheers.

:goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Dont worry about confusing, just read the relevant section, work on the car,  and consult the manual periodically; it will cease to be confusing. I still do this if I'm working on anything that is new to me.

Mick, re the zaps and white tape.  :cool:  In my kit I still have pliers I made out of plywood ( 30 years ago) especially to handle plug leads.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thanks nzenigma. I did purchase a manual off ebay for $28, however it was very confusing,
Cheers.

:goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

Dont worry about confusing, just read the relevant section, work on the car,  and consult the manual periodically; it will cease to be confusing. I still do this if I'm working on anything that is new to me.

Mick, re the zaps and white tape.  :cool:  In my kit I still have pliers I made out of plywood ( 30 years ago) especially to handle plug leads.
Who else's dads said - just hold this mower plug against here and we'll check to see if there's sp. ark
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :rofl: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal