i30 Owners Club

GD folding rear seats in SR Premium

Offline SuperBee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart Tasmania
Hi,
I saw some video review of the GD which made folding the rear seats look like s breeze, but when I tried it in my SRP I found it was not feasible. It’s bad enough needing to remove the headrests but even so I cannot fold the seat without moving the driver so far forward that my legs are bang up under the dash and very cramped to the point of dangerous to drive.
I just can’t see how there’s any other way to do it. I’m only 179cm. If there’s a trick I’m missing, I’d really appreciate knowing. It’s really the difference between whether I can keep this car or not.
  • GD II SR Premium, Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That seems odd. We've had four i30's but the only GD we had was a tourer (wagon) and the seat folding wasn't an issue in that.

I'll tag a few who have or have had a similar vehicle for their feedback.

@i30premy @neptune @mickd @nzenigma 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Used to put front seats forward a bit, lift the bottom rear up & flip drop to floor,  drop back of rear down, put fronts back .
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cheers Mick. :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Used to put front seats forward a bit, lift the bottom rear up & flip drop to floor,  drop back of rear down, put fronts back .

Same here. Just drop head rests down ( not all that " bad enough") and its done.  :wink:
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline SuperBee

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Hobart Tasmania
"not all that "bad enough"
ok, its not the end of the world but i'm used to a 1 or 2 step operation. its already 6 steps to remove and stow 3 headrests, so while it doesn't take a specially equipped workshop, it is comparatively fiddly.

thats not the problem though, and fair enough, i'm just letting my irritation spill over a little.

i can't see any way around the real issue. i'd hoped perhaps i was missing a trick but i'm doing as described here and in the manual. there's simply not enough room to put my seat into a position which allows me to drive comfortably without crushing the seats together. if i don't flip the bottom seat, its ok but of course i don't get the flat load space then. its ok for light loads i guess.

Thanks everyone for your time.     

• GD II SR Premium, Manual.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

I am also about 5' 8" height. wife is a bit taller, neither of us are obese. We dont have a problem. Comfortable driving.

Are you reclining your front seat to snooze position?
Otherwise, I cant see the advantage ( if any) in removing head headrests. As it happens, I always have them completely lowered so that rear vision is not obscured.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I am also about 5' 8" height. wife is a bit taller, neither of us are obese. We dont have a problem. Comfortable driving.

Are you reclining your front seat to snooze position?
Otherwise, I cant see the advantage ( if any) in removing head headrests. As it happens, I always have them completely lowered so that rear vision is not obscured.

Superbee is 4 inches taller (maybe it's all in the legs.. ) I guess that makes a pretty big difference.  :cool:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Superbee is 4 inches taller (maybe it's all in the legs.. ) I guess that makes a pretty big difference.  :cool:

As it happens, that is where wife exceeds me. :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Okay,  they say we're all different.
Just check steering wheel is all the way in and up. Seat is in lowest setting .
Other than that. ......

• 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal