i30 Owners Club

i30 2008 swap from 1.4 CVVT to 2.0 G4GC or 1.6 CVVT?

Offline lequert

• 1st Gear

• pl Poland
Hello,

I ve a question, engine in my i30 need some work to keep it alive, maybe crankshaft bearings are needed to be changed or some other expensive stuff, anyways...
I am thinking about engine swap instead of getting it repaired because, to be honest, this 1.4 is just too small. I was thinking about 1.6 cvvt or 2.0 g4gc from 1 gen, and I don't know, is it possible on stock parts from 1.4? Or I need to change the rest of parts?

PS. Is it possible to attach bumper from GEN 1 "after lift" to my "prelift" version?
  • i30 2008

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome,

Bumper shouldn't be a problem..

I would bet good money that an engine swap would turn out to be very complex and fraught with complications.

Great idea, but these things are never simple in practice.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Hi, if you have the time and money , add extra money if you're not doing it yourself, anything can be done.
Are the brakes, booster, cylinders and brake lines the same on your 1.4  versus  possible engines ??
So many things to check. Done a couple of "straight forward" engine swaps when younger,  that is  why I  do not have much hair left  :crazy1:
Not sure of the  laws over there,  would it need engineering cert for rego  and insurance ??
Might be easier to off load the 1.4 car and grab another model.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hello,

I am thinking about engine swap instead of getting it repaired because, to be honest, this 1.4 is just too small. I was thinking about 1.6 cvvt or 2.0 g4gc from 1 gen, and I don't know, is it possible on stock parts from 1.4? Or I need to change the rest of parts?

Sounds like you are proposing a DIY job.

You need to find a wreck. Change over the engine and transmission ( gear ratios) also ECU , immobilsor , keys, Locks,  probably cluster.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal