i30 Owners Club

2012 Trophy Sports Wagon Petrol - Tow Bar - yes or no??

Offline Primehellcat

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      VIC
I want to get a Hayman Reece towbar fitted to my 2012 FD wagon but someone has told me it's not recommended for this model as it would burn out the transmision.
Has anyone had one fitted, any problems etc??
I dont want to tow heavy items, I need it to pull a small trailer with hubby's mobility scooter on board.
  • 2011 i30 Petrol Trophy Sports Wagon

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi, so assuming automatic transmission. .. 

The FD auto transmission was prone to some issues particularly in the MY10 model year. But wouldn't think towing a small trailer for that purpose would increase the risk of failure. It's 2.20am here and my brain isn't working well, but I think the issue was with the valve body or something in the transmission.  Symptoms of an issue was slow response by the transmission when selecting drive and reverse.

Others who have had or know more about the issue will hopefully respond in the next 24 hours or so. We are a worldwide club.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I would not think that would be a huge issue and going on the topic I'd assume it will be driven gently anyway. You can always get an extra external transmission fluid cooler fitted to improve longevity and if you were towing on a regular basis I would also have the transmission fluid fully changed / flushed out on a regular basis at shorter intervals say 50 - 60000 Km. I would also give the box a flush from the start if it has not already been recently done.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
So you be looking at about 150kg for light 4ft x 4ft trailer,  another 50kg for the scooter.  200kg, that's about the same as a couple of passengers in the back.
Check out if voltage of scooter,  may be able to get wired to charge up scoot as you drive  :victory:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
So you be looking at about 150kg for light 4ft x 4ft trailer,  another 50kg for the scooter.  200kg, that's about the same as a couple of passengers in the back.
Check out if voltage of scooter,  may be able to get wired to charge up scoot as you drive  :victory:
Just thought of something else:
Golf cart trailer - most are tilt type. Undo the rear flap, twist release,  lift the front up, ( a shock aborber controls the speed) ,drive up & when you get a bit over halfway,  trail slowly levels out, drive to the front, twist release back in, lift rear flap. Very light 100kg max, lower to ground, low cetre of gravity= very stable. 
I've used one a couple of times to get  stubborn motorcycles to dealer and they weigh 280 kg .

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:Agoodpost: :ta: Buff

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Great responses there, and the idea of charging it as you go will pay off tremendously, so well worth building it in, or choosing an option that includes it.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@Primehellcat

Some good info available for your enquiry. :cool:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
@buff
Wow, great info,  who'd have thought that there's so much already available.
 :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal