i30 Owners Club

Rear Brake Pads and Discs Replacement

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
My 64 plate petrol i30 has 50k miles and its time for replacement rear pads and probably discs.

I presume I will need a brake winding tool?

Checking europarts for pads and discs I learn there is electric handbrake on some cars. Will my car have this? It does have Hill Start Assist (PITA!) fitted.

Grateful for help on the points raised above.
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I learn there is electric handbrake on some cars. Will my car have this?

How do you operate your handbrake? Do you press a button or pull a lever?
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
I learn there is electric handbrake on some cars. Will my car have this?

How do you operate your handbrake? Do you press a button or pull a lever?

Thanks for your reply.

Its a lever. I guess thats not electric?

Can you offer any advice on a rewind tool? I dont want to spend a fortune as it will probably never be used again

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
It is meachanical then...

Any general auto parts strore or car tool shop should sell those rewind tools. Or get one from ebay. Costs probably 10-20 pounds.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
It is meachanical then...

Any general auto parts strore or car tool shop should sell those rewind tools. Or get one from ebay. Costs probably 10-20 pounds.

Thanks

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I did mine recently(65 plate)  and bought a rewind kit from Screwfix, as I have friends that would use it for their cars. It's £25 but I had a £5 voucher. Having said that, the only adaptor I could find in it wasn't a great fit in the caliper piston. Fortunately, the pistons wound in quite easily so I could probably have done it with a pair of long nose pliers.

I don't know whose discs and pads you're using. I bought Bendix for the discs but had to take the pads back because they didn't have the pin which fits in the slot in the piston to stop it rotating. Neither did a set of Brembo pads. Pagid pads did have the correct pip on the back of the pad and also came with replacement shims which the others didn't.

Take off the brake yoke and clean up the surfaces where the shims clip into place with a wire brush and small file, to clean off any rust and scale. In the end, as the car is still in warranty, I fitted some genuine Hyundai pads, and the quality was better than any of the aftermarket parts.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
I did mine recently(65 plate)  and bought a rewind kit from Screwfix, as I have friends that would use it for their cars. It's £25 but I had a £5 voucher. Having said that, the only adaptor I could find in it wasn't a great fit in the caliper piston. Fortunately, the pistons wound in quite easily so I could probably have done it with a pair of long nose pliers.

I don't know whose discs and pads you're using. I bought Bendix for the discs but had to take the pads back because they didn't have the pin which fits in the slot in the piston to stop it rotating. Neither did a set of Brembo pads. Pagid pads did have the correct pip on the back of the pad and also came with replacement shims which the others didn't.

Take off the brake yoke and clean up the surfaces where the shims clip into place with a wire brush and small file, to clean off any rust and scale. In the end, as the car is still in warranty, I fitted some genuine Hyundai pads, and the quality was better than any of the aftermarket parts.

Thanks. Very informative and helpful.

Ideally I would want a rewind tool which is as tight a fit as poss without costing the earth. With the rewind tool at hand and unopened, I would see if its poss to rewind the piston without using the tool and then return the tool unused. If the tool needs to be used at least its on hand.

Thanks again for a great reply.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
What I found with my kit is that it was very awkward to position the plate in the caliper and wind the piston in without the pins in the adaptor plate slipping out of the pistons. The pins are a bit too far apart. I didn't bother with the plate, I just turned the tool clockwise and pushed against the piston simultaneously. When you've wound it all the way in, make sure the slots in the piston are in the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions
  • i30 CRD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal