Corona virus - Message to our Club/Forum Members

Dazzler · 8 · 10551

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just wanted to say that after spending almost 12 years on this forum I have come to think of most of our long term active members as part of my extended family.

So stay safe and try and follow all the recommended safety guidelines to avoid this infection.

I would hate to lose any of you! I'm sure Steve (Shambles) would feel the same way.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I do indeed and a nice sentiment there Dazz :D

As for this panic-buying, we did a regular large shop today and had to go to 3 superstores to get what we needed, and that included kitchen towels, tissues and loo rolls. Obviously, there were no loo rolls anywhere in sight.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
LIbby and I had a quick trip to Aldi this afternoon for a few bits and bobs.  Many of the shelves were empty - especially tinned stuff, bread, flour, eggs, long life milk etc.

As I was walking down an aisle, coming towards me was a staff member pulling a pallet truck loaded high with toilet rolls. He resembled the Pied Piper because he was being followed by a horde of shoppers all intent on grabbing some. Those nearest to the pallet were tugging at the shrink wrap around the pallet in desperation. When the guy stopped at the bay - he couldn't push the pallet into position because he was surrounded, and he started shouting at them to clear the way. He was ignored - so he walked off and left the pallet truck and pallet in the aisle thus blocking it.  The pallet had now been accessed on the one side and a veritable scrum had developed with people pushing and shoving to get to it. It was shameful behaviour by panic shoppers.

(I don't understand the logic about panic buying toilet rolls - Surely you can cut down on your consumption by the simple expediency of using both sides of the paper or use a desert spoon as a scraper.  :rofl: :rofl:)

We see quite a few people out and about wearing face masks. They are clearly unaware that (unless you use a proper fully enclosed biological filtered cassette gas mask) the commercial ones on sale to the public are not a defence against the virus unless someone actually sneezes or coughs close to you and emits a cloud of spittle you inhale. They are mainly used to prevent you from sneezing or coughing droplets at someone close to you when you are infected. The virus can get into your body only through your mouth, nose or eyes and is mainly transferred there by your hands.  Hence the universal medical advice to wash your hands thoroughly and regularly - and not touch your face if your hands have made contact with surfaces touched by others.  Handrails, shopping trolleys, door handles, ATMs and the like are prime candidates.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 07:28:22 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It seems to be a continuation of the scary but entertaining times which started with the election of Trump...  :crazy1:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

10 weeks on and some places have certainly handled the situation a lot better than others. Definitely a benefit in living  on an Island a long way from major population centres. Here's hoping that the majority of our active members and their families have got through so far not too badly affected.  :sweating:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've just stocked up for the second wave.....

I'm hearing you. Certainly a worry in places like the UK and particularly the USA.  :disapp:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal