i30 Owners Club

Recommended Internet Provider

Paolo5 · 42 · 5949

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I am just about to ditch my current NBN internet provider. I live in NSW.

Can anyone recommend a company that has really good service and technical help when necessary and explain why you think that they would be worthy of my custom?  :whistler:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:15:41 by Paolo5 »

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Who are you with?
I've been with iiNet (Ozemail) for 15 years with no issues.
It's now TPG.
I often hear people complaining about it but I tend to think many of the problems relate to the area, rather than the provider.

Can you elaborate on why you want to change? It might help people with their feedback.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Never had drama with Telstra, had a shitfight with Dodo. Dad went with them a couple of years ago and has a crap time with failure of gear and bs excuses.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Our recent time in Melbourne gave us Belong NBN, so we turned the same thing on when we returned to Adelaide. Not as cheap as Bandung, though. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
If you want a service like Internode USED to be, go with Aussie Broadband https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/

Top ranking ISP for quite some time now.
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Who are you with?
It's now TPG.
I often hear people complaining about it but I tend to think many of the problems relate to the area, rather than the provider.

Can you elaborate on why you want to change? It might help people with their feedback.

I have been with TPG for over 10 years.
I haven't been able to receive e-mails for a week now. I have spoken to 4 different 'technicians' who have not been able to help but have assured me that an 'e-mail expert' will return my call within 4 hours. This has not happened.

For some reason (sited as COVID-19) they now deal with all technical difficulties via online chats only. Each time that I have logged-on for this service, I have had over 150 calls ahead of me. Once, closing time came before the 'technician' got to me...three times the 'technician' just dropped out.

I have filled-in my situation two times in their standard online help form and have received a return e-mail (yes...e-mails do come to me) saying that someone would get back to me within 4 hours...this hasn't happened.

I am a bit torn as I have had reasonable service from TPG for a long time...it has gone to the pack terribly for me now though.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Your story is very like others I've heard about TPG.
Despite the good service I've had over the years,  I'm dreading having an issue.
Having not been on a contract with them, for years on ADSL, I signed up for two years to get their recommended modem when I went NBN. Didn't want any issues blamed on my equipment.
Haven't got that long to go so if they screw me around I'll just pay out the modem and move on.
I hear good things about Aussie Broadband.
But I also hear there's another provider with a similar name, who should be avoided.

Edit. The other mob is Australia Broadband, but they aren't Australian.  Terrible reviews on Product Review.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Who are you with?
It's now TPG.

I have been with TPG for over 10 years.
I haven't been able to receive e-mails for a week now. I have spoken to 4 different 'technicians' who have not been able to help but have assured me that an 'e-mail expert' will return my call within 4 hours. This has not happened.

For some reason (sited as COVID-19) they now deal with all technical difficulties via online chats only. Each time that I have logged-on for this service, I have had over 150 calls ahead of me. Once, closing time came before the 'technician' got to me...three times the 'technician' just dropped out.

I have filled-in my situation two times in their standard online help form and have received a return e-mail (yes...e-mails do come to me) saying that someone would get back to me within 4 hours...this hasn't happened.

I am a bit torn as I have had reasonable service from TPG for a long time...it has gone to the pack terribly for me now though.

Wow! That is crazy. I'm with Telstra and have been for a long time. I think support is going to become and issue with a lot of services going forward. I had an email yesterday from Telstra saying the Corona Virus has compromised their Philippine Call centre but their Indian and Australian call centres were not affected at this time..

I come out of contract in August and will also be looking at my options. I have fairly recently left Telstra (sort of ) with my mobile and am now with their much cheaper offshoot (Boost)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If you want a service like Internode USED to be, go with Aussie Broadband http://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/

Top ranking ISP for quite some time now.

Cheers Hati I better bookmark this thread for when I'm out of contract.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Note I said  "explains" not "excuses".   :crazy1:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've been very happy with TPG, had to get the first modem replaced as it had an issue but was all solved quickly and efficiently for offshore support, always get reliable service connection.

If I were to change to any other it would be Aussie Broadband https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/ , undeniably the best support (Australian based) and the custom plans are probably the best in Australia, standard plans are $10 more expensive than TPG.

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I jumped ship today and I feel as if a burden has been lifted.  :crazy1:
The icing on the cake was when I tried to contact TPG sales this morning and was kept waiting for 30 minutes and STILL didn't get to speak to anyone.

I rang Aussie Broadband, selected a plan and they became my provider within half an hour.

I sent TPG a 'letter of dismissal', asking them to acknowledge my request.

Speaking to the new guys was pleasant and refreshing. I truly hope that they can maintain their level of service.

And to TPG I quote John Cleese (as an outrageous Frenchman) "I fart in your general direction!"

Thanks for your input, guys!

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Welcome. Should have given you my reference number if I knew you were going with them ;)
  • 2017 i30 Elite PD

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Without starting another topic, Can we expand this to include people's observations about download speeds in the last week?
Mine has dropped off dramatically during the day.  Peak period is supposed to be from now till 10pm.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Peak time here with TPG on the NBN50 plan, I get higher than the stated typical evening speed of 45.6Mbps

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Peak time here with TPG on the NBN50 plan, I get higher than the stated typical evening speed of 45.6Mbps
I'm also NBN 50 with iiNet (TPG).
It's fluctuating from the same as yours down as low as high teens and often high 20s.
Only in the last week or so.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
It's fluctuating from the same as yours down as low as high teens and often high 20s.
I should also have mentioned that we're FTTC here.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I should also have mentioned that we're FTTC here.
Yep. So are we. And the pit is right on our footpath.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
download speeds in the last week?
Mine has dropped off dramatically during the day.

Are more of you guys working from home? Over here there's a report from some ISPs that internet traffic has gone through the roof.

:link: Coronavirus: Vodafone and TalkTalk report surge in internet use - BBC News
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
download speeds in the last week?
Mine has dropped off dramatically during the day.

Are more of you guys working from home? Over here there's a report from some ISPs that internet traffic has gone through the roof.

:link: Coronavirus: Vodafone and TalkTalk report surge in internet use - BBC News
There a fair bit of it so that may have some bearing on it.  But NBN Co has released something like an extra 40% of bandwidth to ISPsmwithout any extra charge.
Maybe that hasn't taken effect yet.
With only two of us in the house it's not a major deal. I'll give them until next week then have a bitch.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just ran a quick test twice.. and as i suspected mine is about half the norm download speed. Upload is good though...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If my speeds ever dropped that low I’d be on the phone demanding free service until it’s fixed :phone1:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Good luck getting anything better in the CV19 age.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Good luck getting anything better in the CV19 age.
Mine's 47 again atm.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Mines quite a bit better tonight...

Offline Hati

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Perth WA
This is at 7 PM on a 100/20 account:

• 2017 i30 Elite PD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice! Mine is only a 50/25

Interestingly I recently swapped my Telstra Mobile to Boost and lost my package deal $10 bonus on my internet which meant it went from $80 pm to $90. But this month they made an adjustment credit and I'm back to $80.. I guess they consider being with Boost is still being with Telstra (sort of)  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Still around 47. But maybe because it's Saturday less people are working at home.
I'll keep checking and see how it goes Monday.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I had some really low speeds a couple of weeks ago but since then, things have been pretty good.
Ping varies wildly but that doesn't seem to worry me.
Just now 3PM
Ping 32 (but is often around 8 or 9)
Download 45.51
Upload 18.00

I'm pretty happy with that.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal