i30 Owners Club

Why Covid 19 Is So Dangerous

AlanHo · 164 · 21695

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I know the world is full of stories like this right now, but I just can't imagine being pretty much forced to return to Australia, leaving behind my wife seriously ill in hospital on the other side of the world.

I feel for you and your family mate.

All the best.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I just can't imagine being pretty much forced to return to Australia, leaving behind my wife

Oh, I don't know......... :whistler: :whistler:
Please excuse me, only being jocular.   :D
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I just can't imagine being pretty much forced to return to Australia, leaving behind my wife

Oh, I don't know......... :whistler: :whistler:
Please excuse me, only being jocular.   :D

:Shocked: :faint: :faint:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Dad finally made it back to Perth yesterday, not the best bus ride from the airport with pensioners getting into brawls over not being allowed to go to the toilets, arrived at the Duxton 2pm and still weren't allow toilet visits till they got to their rooms, dad waited in the lobby from 2pm till 8pm before getting to his room  :crazy1:

He was absolutely exhausted and I think close to a nervous breakdown last night when I'd spoken to him, he's also got a bout of flu and the stress of mum not being there is taking it's toll on him, said he had some breakfast this morning which is the first thing he's been able to eat in 2 or 3 days, now two weeks staring at more walls at the Duxton :(

Mums situation has also just changed as of an hour ago, 3rd Covid test is now positive so it's likely she's had Covid the whole time as Pneumonia is a side affect of Covid.

News isn't all bad though, the doctor says she has been moved to the Covid isolation ward now but is classed as low risk and doesn't require any respiratory assistance.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Far out! I can't hold on for 15 minutes these days (let alone 10 hours!) That's ridiculous! Poor Dad, :fum:

If your mum didn't have Covid when she arrived in Italy she would soon have got it I reckon. Sounds like she's a tough old bird.  :goodjob:

Keep us in the loop I won't rest until she's home!  :disapp:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Really pleased to hear she's low risk Craig.
I've got everything crossed for you that she can come home soon.
What a nightmare.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth
A brother in law of one guy in our local dog walking group is in a serious condition in Rockingham Hospital following a cruise with his wife. She has mild symptoms of Covid 19 but was only allowed to visit him once in a full suit. My sisters back in UK are both nurses on the front line, and they are scared.

These are indeed scary times for us all, so please everyone look after yourselves, wash hands regularly, social distance and stay at home. 

• 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A brother in law of one guy in our local dog walking group is in a serious condition in Rockingham Hospital following a cruise with his wife. She has mild symptoms of Covid 19 but was only allowed to visit him once in a full suit. My sisters back in UK are both nurses on the front line, and they are scared.

These are indeed scary times for us all, so please everyone look after yourselves, wash hands regularly, social distance and stay at home.

Nice to hear from you mate. You take care too.  :cool:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

My wifey works in ED in that hospital and she could tell you a story or two …...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My wifey works in ED in that hospital and she could tell you a story or two …...

Wow!This is all she needs after her recent health scare. Hope you guys are ok.   :Pout:

Offline Crustycottage

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Australia, Perth

Yes been very busy at the mine site, only driven my i30 300kms in last 3 months. Now working from home for 2 weeks as being insulin pump diabetic I am in the high risk category.  :sweating: Take care Darryl   
  • 2017 PD SR 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.6lt Auto, Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yes been very busy at the mine site, only driven my i30 300kms in last 3 months. Now working from home for 2 weeks as being insulin pump diabetic I am in the high risk category.  :sweating: Take care Darryl   

Cheers Scott. Yes they reckon diabetics are high risk. Apparently my PD makes me high risk too.  :Pout:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I am bored with being isolated at home so I have started a home based business – making corona head protection.

I usually charge £50 each – but for you as an old and probably gullible forum friend I can offer a discount of 20% - but you provide the hat of your choice. You need to wear one to hold the sheet of clear plastic in place.

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Nice Rolex
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Nice Rolex

It's a citizen - I did have a couple of Rolex when I worked in the Middle East (An expat badge) but sold them after I came back to the UK for a lot more than I paid for them to a collector in Sheffield.

In Saudi the big oil company gave employees a long service award of a stainless steel Rolex after about 2 years (engraved on the back) and a gold one soon afterwards. I can't remember the exact number of years but it was single figures. Some employees, especially Arabs, immediately sold them to a broker who lived in Bahrain for funny money who sold them on - mainly to cheapskate expats like yours truly. I paid the equivalent of £1200 for a stainless one, £1800 for a gold Oyster for myself and £1700 for a gold Rolex for my wife. Even though they were devalued by having the backs engraved, I still made a handsome profit.  More than enough to keep me in Citizen Eco drive watches for the rest of my life.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
:link: Adelaide Airport coronavirus cluster grows, hitting nearby Drakes supermarket - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Our local supermarket and Macca's, walking distance. I missed the Drakes exposure by a day. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
 :sweating: :sweating: :sweating: 💩💩💩  :faint:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Due to a couple of unconfirmed community transmissions in Devonport (where we live) they are apparently very receptive to testing anyone with even the slightest symptoms.  :eek:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Due to a couple of unconfirmed community transmissions in Devonport (where we live) they are apparently very receptive to testing anyone with even the slightest symptoms.  :eek:

So anyone with relatives in Tassie?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

So anyone with relatives in Tassie?

yes...… son, daughter.....three  grand children

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

so far …. so good..... thank you Daz

Wow!This is all she needs after her recent health scare. Hope you guys are ok.   :Pout:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

so far …. so good..... thank you Daz

No problems John, it's seems worse over there than in Tassie at the moment.  :sweating:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

This isolation is getting me down - so we are holding a quarantine party tomorrow night.

None of you are invited - in fact no-one is.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
 :hahaha: :YouNeedHelp:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This isolation is getting me down - so we are holding a quarantine party tomorrow night.

None of you are invited - in fact no-one is.

Stuff you then! I'm not coming!  :harhar: :tease: :tomato:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Several days since my last update though not much has changed till today, Mum's finally clear of the covid virus with remnants of pneumonia lingering on but better every day.

Trying to organise her passport for the return has been quite difficult, an emergency passport which can be issued in an hour with the embassy's help would have been the simplest solution but with Italy on full lock down she'll be unable to even get the required photograph taken, the embassy's next step is to try and retrieve mums passport from dad in the hotel which isn't as easy as it sounds.

Dad has been isolated for a week now at the Duxton hotel on top of the 3 weeks isolation on the ship and he has just failed a covid test himself after all this time, he'll start quarantine again from today for another two weeks.

He would have had it just as long as mum though his symptoms weren't as bad with just a chesty cough.

The temperature tests being performed on all these travellers is a complete waste of time, swab tests are all that works accurately which you'd expect to have been done first and not the other way round :head_butt:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 20:59:44 by CraigB »

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Glad to your mum is in the mend.

Hope they sort out the passport.

But wouldn't you think given the world wide current situation a little bit of common sense could prevail in that they know where she came from, ship, and she was on holiday from Aussie land.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Cripes, it never rains but it pours.  At least there's light at the end of the tunnel  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@CraigB

Wow, that's a fair bit to report. Glad Mum's almost recovered. Hope dad is as resilient.  :sweating:

Considering they didn't really go to any ports before Rome I can't believe how unlucky they were.

We had a scare with little Odin last night he wouldn't wake up and his breathing sounded a bit odd, before and after the episode. So we took him to the local ED at like 8.45 pm but they were pretty useless so then got told to take him to the Burnie ED (there have been 5 cases reported at that hospital including 4 staff!) Only Ashley and bub went in. They did a heap of tests (not a swab test though) but seemed to think he is fine (Poor Ash was freaking out) Trish and I are pretty nervous now. Anyway we got home at 11.45 pm. Fingers crossed we don't have anything like that happen again.  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
@CraigB

Wow, that's a fair bit to report. Glad Mum/s almost recovered. Hope dad is as resilient.  :sweating:

Considering they didn't really go to any ports before Rome I can't believe how unlucky they were.
Dad will be ok, he was diagnosed very late so nearly over it.

We're not told how many others may have contracted it but the virus was first noticed after an Argentinian woman boarded in Kerala India a week before the folks boarded in Dubai.

Saddening to hear little Odin had a rough night, I hope he's all good now  :Prayer: give my best wishes to all :DoubleKiss:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal