i30 Owners Club

FD low-beam Headlight Bulbs really dim

dammit · 7 · 1555

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Hi all
I have a 2012 FD Trophy, the low beam headlight bulbs are so dim, I basically am driving around in the dark.

To be honest, both bulbs blew and I replaced them with "2x H7 XENON HALOGEN BULB 5000K Car Super Xenon White Light Bulbs" from eBay which cost about $3 each...so it is likely my cheapo bulbs that I got.

Is Philips Whitevision H7 55W still the best go to for i30? They are $60 shipped at :link: Amazon

Also, my FD trophy has foglights, should I replace these to something brighter too? or the highbeam? I mainly drive in the city except the very odd long roadtrip late at night in the country...

Edit: I'm seeing Narva Sapphire Plus 50 or Narva H7 +120 being suggested too, thoughts compared to the Philips H7 White Vision?

Or Osram Night Breakers H7 for $37 shipped from Amazon...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 02:28:57 by dammit »
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I can highly recommend the Narva Sapphires, they’re a true 5000k +50 bulb with their new filament design they have a very long life, can be used in the high beam as well.

I’ve also got a pair of White Vision bulbs here, they’re also good though not quite as bright as the Sapphires and not as white a light.

You’ll find super bright Night Breaker and +120 bulbs also have a super short life span.

Don’t use bright lights in your fogs, they’ll reflect back on you if actually used for the true purpose of a fog light, warm light bordering yellow work best in fog situations.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:44:04 by CraigB »

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Awesome, thanks for the info!

I can get Osram Nightbreakers for $37 and Narva Sapphire Plus 50 for $67; sounds like you'd go the Narva's any day of the week??

On another topic, does anyone know how to adjust the headlight angle to correct?
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sapphires for $67 is a good deal, they're $90 a pair in the shops :goodjob2:

Beam adjustment is all mentioned in the owners manual though I find their recommended heights are set rather low and can be tweaked upwards just a little, at 10 meters distance from a wall I have them just a fraction below horizontal.

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
"at 10 meters distance from a wall I have them just a fraction below horizontal"

Do you mean you have the beam basically just slightly lower than if you were to draw a line from the headlight height on the vehicle to the wall, let's say hypothetically headlights are 1m from ground to the headlight, then on the wall you are shining on 10m away, you have it roughly the same? Sorry, trying to get my head around this!
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yes, at the wall 10 meters away the cut off line is about one or two inches lower than the beam height at the vehicle.

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
Perfect, thank you! I will see how I go!
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal