i30 Owners Club

Brakes rubbing

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Hey people, hope you're all well.

Apologies that this post may cross over with a couple of others, but those others I found didn't quite answer my question so I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on my issue...

For the past year or so I've had my N/S rear wheel making a rubbing noise, and my car's been in and out of Hyundai garages with warranty work and no one's been able to find the culprit. A couple of days ago I was having a look myself and it seems very much that it's the brakes sticking on. Even after removing the calliper and spinning the rotor with just the pads in place it rubs, suggesting to me that the pads aren't returning properly.

I feel that Hyundai should've suspected this... which makes me wonder if this is the whole problem or if there's something deeper.

Anyway, I cleaned it all up and put it all back together and it's better, but not perfect. So I jacked the front of the car up and span both the front wheels and they also rub just a little. Is it normal for the brakes to rub at all? I pumped the brake pedal (with the engine on of course) and span the wheels again and there's no difference - they still rub. I also jacked up my Honda Civic FK2 and span the wheels and them ones are totally silent, no signs of rubbing whatsoever. It seems a bit weird that Hyundai would engineer a brake system which didn't fully disengage, but it also seems weird that Hyundai serviced and MoT'd my car yesterday and passed it with no advisories...

I've linked some videos of what I'm talking about below, any input would be appreciated :)

Cheers guys,
Das

Rubbing sound, fully assembled - :link: Full Assembly.MOV - Google Drive
Rubbing sound, pads no calliper - :link: Pads no Callipers.MOV - Google Drive
No brake assembly - :link: No Brakes.MOV - Google Drive
Honda - :link: Honda.MOV - Google Drive
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 16:42:40 by DA5istME »
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, White

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi DA5istME and  :welcome:

You'll need to grant permissions to that drive to let us see/hear the content ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Oops! Thanks Shambles for pointing that out! Hopefully they'll work now!

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
To be honest, that looks pretty normal to me. The pads can feather against the discs, there's nothing to make them spring back after the pressure from the caliper is released. Make sure when replacing pads that you also replace the shims that they slide in, with genuine Hyundai pads these are included, but some after-market pads don't include them as standard. Before clipping them into the yoke, remove any scale and rust from where they clip into place. The Hyundai pads are very well finished, the backing plate has no sharp edges to speak of. On cheaper after-market pads, the backing plate tends to have rougher edges and sharp corners which stop them sliding as freely in the yoke. It may be necessary to clean them up with a file to take the rough edges off, and round off the corners to match the inside radius of the folds in the shims.
  • i30 CRD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
 :whsaid:

and....

Even after removing the calliper and spinning the rotor with just the pads in place it rubs, suggesting to me that the pads aren't returning properly.

One of the many safety virtues of discs is that the pads stay lightly in contact with the disc;  the slight friction and air flow dries the pads while driving in wet weather.
Old hands will remember having no brakes at all after our old drum & shoe brakes had been immersed.
We used to keep driving for the next few miles with foot firmly on the brake pedal to dry them out.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

and....

Even after removing the calliper and spinning the rotor with just the pads in place it rubs, suggesting to me that the pads aren't returning properly.

One of the many safety virtues of discs is that the pads stay lightly in contact with the disc;  the slight friction and air flow dries the pads while driving in wet weather.
Old hands will remember having no brakes at all after our old drum & shoe brakes had been immersed.
We used to keep driving for the next few miles with foot firmly on the brake pedal to dry them out.
Looks like I'm an "old hand" maybe just had old car with 4WD - 4 wheel drums
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

and....

old memory bank ? It never forgets the sudden thrill  :Drive: of coming to that next corner with soaked brakes :crazy1:.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW

and....

old memory bank ? It never forgets the sudden thrill  :Drive: of coming to that next corner with soaked brakes :crazy1:.
:eek: :eek:💩💩
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Sweet. Thank you guys for your input, very helpful 😊

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal