i30 Owners Club

Front end knocking while on full lock

Offline fat-tomo

• 1st Gear

• UK
Hi Guys/Girls,

I'm new to this kind of thing but  joined this forum to see if anyone else has a issue when you apply full lock in reverse or forward. I get a knocking noise from the front end when in motion. We've only had the car for 4 months and I've had it back to the dealer twice for the same issue. First time the mechanic went round all the front end suspension, drive and steering items and checked all the torque settings which was correct. The second time they contacted Hyundai and apparently they said that they have seen this issue before and its all to do with the low profile tyres and the difference in rotation speed between the inner and outer part of the tyre.
Can anyone say that they have the same issue, can it be recified or elaborate if the explanation from Hyundai is correct.

Any information would be grateful

Thanks

Dave
  • 2019,i30n performance,5dr hatch,2.0ltr Turbo,Manual,Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does your model N come with the electronic LSD? they don't tend to like full lock and can sometimes make a clacking sound similar to a worn CV joint, due to rotational differences between the left and right wheels at full lock.

Offline fat-tomo

• 1st Gear

• UK
Hi CraigB,

Yes the N Performance of mine has the electronic LSD and it definitely sounds like a CV joint as that was my initial prognosis. Is their anything that I can do or are Hyundai doing anything to rectify the issue. Well it cause any damage over a period of time as I'm planning on keeping the car for a good couple of years.
Do you of anything that I can do to tweak the performance without voiding the warranty.

Thanks

Dave
  • 2019,i30n performance,5dr hatch,2.0ltr Turbo,Manual,Grey

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know much more about it or whether Hyundai are or can do anything about it,  it's not an uncommon problem though in high performance FWD LSD setup vehicles (several brands) and might be the trade off you have to accept when buying FWD performance cars developed with a track nature.

I can only suggest to reduce full lock turns, which is also better for bushes and other components within the steering assembly.

Without affecting warranty...anything that increases the HP can affect your warranty so probably just a more efficient air filter.

You could add a Race Chip but you would have to remove it for servicing, the N has a good exhaust system so you don't want to play with that.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome F-T,

I can't add much to what craig says except that holding any car on hard lock for more than a second or two isn't recommended.  I'm sure you can probably remember the squeel that some hydraulic steering systems used to make when you did this. Electric power steering is a bit more tolerant fortunately.

I'm glad you've joined and please stay around, but there are a few dedicated i30N clubs about now on the www and on FB, so with this issue I think it might be worth asking the question on a couple of them.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal