i30 Owners Club

Tools to replace coil pack in 09 SX

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
I have a new coil pack for my 09 SX Petrol. I’m wondering what tools would be ideal to remove the nuts holding it in.

I’ve tried using a socket wrench and a normal wrench but the nuts don’t budge.  It’s in a bit of an awkward position as well.

Cheers.
  • 2009 i30 Hatch (Manual)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
I have a new coil pack for my 09 SX Petrol. I’m wondering what tools would be ideal to remove the nuts holding it in.

I’ve tried using a socket wrench and a normal wrench but the nuts don’t budge.  It’s in a bit of an awkward position as well.

Cheers.

Move top of air filter out of the way. Use ring spanner. 10 mm or 12 mm ?
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Thanks I don’t have ring spanners will go and get some.

Cheers.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
@smashbie
Not that dear, ring / open end combo work well. 
2 sets really helpful.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Got a ring spanner set today and successfully changed the coil pack. Car is performing better now, it seems the hesitation from 2.5-3k is gone.

Replacement coil (second hand from low km car) only set me back $35 on eBay.

Cheers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@smashbie Thanks for the update.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Just another update on this. I’ve been trying so many things to fix the rough feeling idle.

Mechanic checked over my car thoroughly today and said the issue isn’t mechanical (although I’d changed spark plugs, leads and coil).

The issue is the top engine mount. Apparently it’s a gas type and mine is completely flat (should have a gap in between). Mechanic says as soon as I fix this the idle issue will be resolved. He’s quoting $200 to fix (which I don’t think is so bad).

The issue is that due to the bad mount the vibration is travelling through the car making it feel like a bad idle, but the engine is perfectly fine.

Cheers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Just another update on this. I’ve been trying so many things to fix the rough feeling idle.

Mechanic checked over my car thoroughly today and said the issue isn’t mechanical (although I’d changed spark plugs, leads and coil).

The issue is the top engine mount. Apparently it’s a gas type and mine is completely flat (should have a gap in between). Mechanic says as soon as I fix this the idle issue will be resolved. He’s quoting $200 to fix (which I don’t think is so bad).

The issue is that due to the bad mount the vibration is travelling through the car making it feel like a bad idle, but the engine is perfectly fine.

Cheers.

Yep $200 is fair as  according to recent discussions on here I believe the mounts are roughly worth $150 each to buy.

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Mechanic changed the top engine mount. Only charged $190 total. Made a HUGE difference. The idling vibration is completely gone.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi all,

Mechanic changed the top engine mount. Only charged $190 total. Made a HUGE difference. The idling vibration is completely gone.

Brilliant! I love happy endings.  :happydance:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal