i30 Owners Club

Spare key

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

When I purchased my car it only came with one key. Wondering your suggestions on getting an extra key as cheaply priced as possible. I'd like it to be a fully functioning spare i.e. programmed as well.

Any suggestions in Sydney? I'm assuming the dealership will be astronomical.

Thanks.
  • 2009 i30 Hatch (Manual)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked with dealer to make sure whether they are in possession of your second key?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline smashbie

• 2nd Gear

• Sydney, Australia
Unfortunately it was a private sale. Car is a 2009 build.

I might call the dealership and find out how much they’d charge for it. I’m expecting it won’t be cheap.
  • 2009 i30 Hatch (Manual)

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hi, I picked one up from a locksmith for $130.  The locksmith was in a little booth/kiosk (Morley  Markets, If any Perth people want to know) and he had the unit that plugs into the obd. He cloned the transponder, cut the blade and programmed the remote of an FD, all in about 15 to 20 minutes. So after hearing the dealer price, phone around. I got this price about November 2019

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi, I picked one up from a locksmith for $130.  The locksmith was in a little booth/kiosk (Morley  Markets, If any Perth people want to know) and he had the unit that plugs into the obd. He cloned the transponder, cut the blade and programmed the remote of an FD, all in about 15 to 20 minutes. So after hearing the dealer price, phone around. I got this price about November 2019

That's a great price. Thanks so much for sharing.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The above advice from Aye30 is what we commonly do.  You can get a cheaper spare one without remote, it will open doors and start car.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal