i30 Owners Club

Moaning sound when releasing clutch

GaKu · 9 · 3572

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
Recently I have started to hear a faint moaning sound when releasing the clutch after changing gears. It happens only in the phase where I am still taking my foot off the pedal, then it goes away. Sound is so faint I dont think I can get it recorded unless I abuse the clutch.
So far car has done 68000 kms and rides fine and have no problems changing gears, fuel economy is the same as before.

Am I approaching an expensive repair / new clutch? Or any tips to keep rolling as long as possible?
  • 2011 i30

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
could that be the release bearing, I had that for years with my 2010 i30 and just learned to live with it. 

More experience chaps might have a better idea than me, so wait and see what others say  :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Thats same from me too.

Low kms = heaps of life left in the clutch.

Even if bearing becomes unbearable ( get it  :rolleyes: :twisted:) its not an expensive item to replace....at an independent workshop,
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :wts: :MeToo:

Is the moaning noise worse when your wife is in the passenger seat..   :whistler:

Sorry.. just having a laugh.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
:wts: :MeToo:

Is the moaning noise worse when your wife is in the passenger seat..   :whistler:

Sorry.. just having a laugh.  :goodjob:

Is there any other way?  :lol: :crazy1:
  • 2011 i30

Offline toe86

• 1st Gear

• no Norway
      Sandefjord
Probably your release-bearing beginning to fail.. Its best to get I changed, It will only get worse.. Its a "transmission out" job anyway, so it makes sense to do the whole clutch...

A buddy of mine had a release-bering that failed completely on his Tuscon.. The clutchpedal was completely solid, until he pressed it harder, right until the master cylinder exploded.. We did the repairs ourselves, the bearing was completely destroyed, with lots of bearing-balls inside the bellhousing
  • 2009 FD wagon. 1,6Petrol manual. grey

Offline GaKu

• 3rd Gear

• dk Denmark
      Zealand

• 2011 1.4 petrol
The noise is heard only when releasing the pedal after engaging a gear. Not when pressing it or when engine is off or when in neutral. Also not in all gears, it's mostly heard when going to 3rd.

I can feel the noise vibrate through the gear lever so beginning to feel its the clutch itself
  • 2011 i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
ah ok - yes the fork moan can be heard with the car switched off. Good luck with the clutch.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal