i30 Owners Club

I just bought a 2010 i30 1.6 diesel, in need of new tyres?

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Hi

I just bought a 2010 i30 1.6 diesel, with 150k miles on the clock, well looked after though.

It has Goodyears on it currently, I've attached photos of the size/type from these, they appear to be the same but one says V and the other W, on the front and back?  The last MOT said they are worn close to legal limit, so o should replace them soon.

Any recommendations? I am looking to save money, but without going for real budget stuff that will wear out. I just dont need really fancy special tyres! Anything reasonably reliable, and preferably quiet would be great

I'm in the UK,
Thanks

• i30 1.6

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I used to have a 2011 diesel which my partner now drives and is close to 200,000 miles. It has had several changes of tyre, and I have found the Goodyear Efficient grip performance to be pretty good. Shop around for the best price, last time I bought a pair last September they were £47 each fully fitted. I did try Hankook Venture Prime 3 but I found the rear tyres suffered from severe stepping on the inner edges. If you look through my previous posts you'll find photos of them. Having said that, they still managed over 40,000 miles.

On my 2015 diesel I currently have Michelin Cross climates which give a quiet and comfortable ride on 15" wheels. I bought them because I had some long trips to the Scottish highlands planned over the winter.

The speed rating doesn't matter as long as it is at least the minimum recommended rating for the car. For your car I think H rating is the minimum but you may find V rated tyres are the same price or even cheaper if they are made in larger volumes. My 2015 car was factory fitted with T rated Michelins which I queried with Hyundai UK because it's lower than what the handbook said. Their response was that the car had been officially homogulated with the T-rated tyres so it was OK. 

• i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I used to have a 2011 diesel which my partner now drives and is close to 200,000 miles. It has had several changes of tyre, and I have found the Goodyear Efficient grip performance to be pretty good. Shop around for the best price, last time I bought a pair last September they were £47 each fully fitted. I did try Hankook Venture Prime 3 but I found the rear tyres suffered from severe stepping on the inner edges. If you look through my previous posts you'll find photos of them. Having said that, they still managed over 40,000 miles.

On my 2015 diesel I currently have Michelin Cross climates which give a quiet and comfortable ride on 15" wheels. I bought them because I had some long trips to the Scottish highlands planned over the winter.

The speed rating doesn't matter as long as it is at least the minimum recommended rating for the car. For your car I think H rating is the minimum but you may find V rated tyres are the same price or even cheaper if they are made in larger volumes. My 2015 car was factory fitted with T rated Michelins which I queried with Hyundai UK because it's lower than what the handbook said. Their response was that the car had been officially homogulated with the T-rated tyres so it was OK.
Try new rear shocks if the inner edge is getting scalloped
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK

Thanks, these seem to be about £70 everywhere fitted, but Kwik fit has 10% off at the moment. So is the rating the letter at the end? Mine has V on the back and W on the front.

• i30 1.6

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I did replace the rear shocks, which eliminated a thrumming noise from the rear, but it didn't stop the inner blocks of tread being scrubbed off even though there was plenty of tread across the rest of the tyres. The Goodyears show no sign of uneven wear, even after 7 months.
  • i30 CRD

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
The speed rating letter normally comes after the load rating eg 91V. Having a quick look at my local tyre fitters the cheapest I can find the Goodyears is £59 each. This is at the same place where they were £47 last September. Most places sell for around the same price, but now and again you'll find somewhere that sells them for £7 or £8 less than everyone else. Check also that it is exactly the same tyre, so you're not comparing an Efficient Grip tyre with Efficient Grip Performance or Efficient Grip Performance 2.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I did replace the rear shocks, which eliminated a thrumming noise from the rear, but it didn't stop the inner blocks of tread being scrubbed off even though there was plenty of tread across the rest of the tyres. The Goodyears show no sign of uneven wear, even after 7 months.
suprised to hear. I've had x 2 i30 with what you describe, both fixed with shocks but I also like to rotate every now and then. There is a fair amount of camber on rears though, can't comment any further really based on what  I've experienced
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
The speed rating letter normally comes after the load rating eg 91V. Having a quick look at my local tyre fitters the cheapest I can find the Goodyears is £59 each. This is at the same place where they were £47 last September. Most places sell for around the same price, but now and again you'll find somewhere that sells them for £7 or £8 less than everyone else. Check also that it is exactly the same tyre, so you're not comparing an Efficient Grip tyre with Efficient Grip Performance or Efficient Grip Performance 2.

Thanks, and to be sure you are recommending the efficient grip performance, not performance 2 or regular, will the others be fine if thats all I can find locally>?
  • i30 1.6

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I have Efficient Grip Performance.
205/55R16.
Assymetric .

Quiet, precise handling. Wearing well.
  • 2013 Toyota Corolla Ascent Sport 6sp Manual. formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I've only used the Efficient Grip Performance. I think the Performance 2 is more recent, so I don't know how different they are. If you look on :link: Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Tests and Reviews @ Tyre Reviews you can search for specific brands and tyre range and find out how they've done in tests by the likes of ADAC and Auto Bild.

Having said that, I bought the Ventus Prime 3 because they were rated higher than the Goodyears, and I had this severe wear problem. If it was my choice, I would pay an extra £4 or £5 for the EfficientGrip Performance 2.
  • i30 CRD

Offline robodelfy

• 2nd Gear

• UK
Thanks guys, my car is getting serviced now, and the guy said the tyres have a good few months life in them. They were quite worn on the inside, but the alignment was done just before I bought it, so hopefully they won't wear too much more unevenly. I'll definitely go with the Goodyears in a few months when its neccesary

thanks for the help!
  • i30 1.6

Online mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I have clocked near 100,000 kms on my rear tyres on my FD wagon (never rotated) and they are still good , the fronts i got 70,000 kms out of them with no rotation.

Tyres : Michelin Primacy 3 ST

Not the cheapest tyre but bloody good mileage and they have very good performance wet or dry.

From now on this is the only tyre i am going to use.

Highly recommended.

• 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That's interesting Mr E! They are the same Tyre that came standard on my latest Camry Hybrid. I have a mate that put them on his Wife's Accord and he hated them said they were very poor in the wet and certainly not one of Michelin's better tyres.

I haven't had any issues in the wet but they don't like loose surfaces on a winding road. On our last mainland road trip the tail skipped sideways by more than a foot when I tried to hurry (not that quickly) through some interesting mountain passes.

They do get pretty good  reviews on Product Review dot com.

:link: ProductReview.com.au

They have been superseded by the Primacy 4

:link: ProductReview.com.au

Which also rates well.

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Weight difference ? :undecided:
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Online mrexcitement

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Well , i like them.

Didn't know they have been superseded , have to try out the 4's when the 3's finally wear out.

I have had no problem wet or dry and i have pushed them hard in both conditions , the best non sport tyre i have used so far.

Just read your review dazz on the 4's , interesting what you say about gravel roads as the 3's i felt were above average on gravel.

The few times i have had a chance to play , i have had a ball throwing it around like a rally car and it responded well , actually now i think about it i think most of that is the Bilstein shocks.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 03:00:40 by mrexcitement »
  • 2010 FD WAGON ,DIESEL 1.6, AUTO, SKY BLUE

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Well , i like them.

Didn't know they have been superseded , have to try out the 4's when the 3's finally wear out.

I have had no problem wet or dry and i have pushed them hard in both conditions , the best non sport tyre i have used so far.

Just read your review dazz on the 4's , interesting what you say about gravel roads as the 3's i felt were above average on gravel.

The few times i have had a chance to play , i have had a ball throwing it around like a rally car and it responded well , actually now i think about it i think most of that is the Bilstein shocks.
The Pilot Sport 4's are a completely different kettle of fish compared to the Primacy 3's and 4's more of a sport tyre whereas, I think the Primacy are more about quietness and fuel economy. 
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline GHuberger

• 2nd Gear
My recomendation is uniroyal rainsport 3

Poslano sa mog SNE-LX1 koristeći Tapatalk

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
but the alignment was done just before I bought it, so hopefully they won't wear too much more unevenly.

FD suspension is build so that only front alingment can be adjusted partially. If rear alingment is off too much, there is something wrong with the suspension, and probably need new parts. I've noticed small wear on the inner sides of rear tyres, but as I rotate every time when changing summer-winter tyres the wear has not been anything to worry about. More damage can be done with wrong tyre pressures.
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal