i30 Owners Club

Rear Disc Replacement 62 plate i30 Tourer

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England
Afternoon all, apologies if there is a thread on this already, (have searched but couldn't spot anything specific.)

I was swapping my wheels over from winters onto summers; I know it's late but with lockdown, my car hasn't really moved since before Easter and spotted the rear discs and pads are shot. The car is a 62 plate I30 1.6 CRDI Tourer and has done 110k on the same rear discs - so they haven't done badly. I checked the discs with a screwguage micrometer and they are under 8mm, pads are also looking a bit thin so time to replace the lot.
I have done front and rear pads before on the i30 and discs on other cars, it all looked like a fairly straightforward job but then I spotted the bottom caliper bracket mounting bolt looks inaccessible without taking the support bar (not sure what it would be called) for the suspension off the hub? Is there a trick to changing the rear discs on i30s I have missed or does the suspension support/stabilizer arm have to come off the hub to gain access to the caliper bracket mounting bolt?

If the support has to be undone I assumed its a simple case of removing the bolt at the hub end and swinging the arm down, it doesn't look like the hub would need supporting.

Any tips tricks and advice welcome, thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 18:48:56 by Spongey »
  • I30 Tourer CRDi 1.6

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Try an offset 14mm ring spanner first, should just get in there.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Spongey

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      England

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Exactly right, a deep cranked right spanner is what you need. It's not that different from what it's like on the earlier FD model. Check the state of the caliper slider pins while you're at it, make sure they're still well greased and not starting to corrode.
  • i30 CRD

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Exactly right, a deep cranked right spanner is what you need. It's not that different from what it's like on the earlier FD model. Check the state of the caliper slider pins while you're at it, make sure they're still well greased and not starting to corrode.
Exactly, I just happened to replace ours on the FD on Saturday too. Those spanners made it so much easier
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal