i30 Owners Club

Modifying exhaust

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
Hi everyone! Just wondering what size rear muffler I should be getting for my 2013 Hyundai i30 se?
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Replacement of,  or sound modification ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Bazza2401

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Townsville Australia
Hi mate modifying wanting to change the exhaust
  • I30 se 2013 2 door

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I think standard exhaust size was 1-7/8", Walker and Lukey do a good price and quality stainless turbo (straight through) muffler which gives a nicer and deeper note to a standard system without being loud.

Best to drive into an exhaust shop so they can size it up and give you a fitted price, will likely have to use a 2" in/out, offset both ends oval muffler, about 14" length though the exhaust shop will have to confirm that.

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I think standard exhaust size was 1-7/8", Walker and Lukey do a good price and quality stainless turbo (straight through) muffler which gives a nicer and deeper note to a standard system without being loud.

Best to drive into an exhaust shop so they can size it up and give you a fitted price, will likely have to use a 2" in/out, offset both ends oval muffler, about 14" length though the exhaust shop will have to confirm that.

Just out of curiosity, especially from an Australian (NSW) perspective, wouldn't a modified exhaust especially a louder one cause issues with the annual inspection for registration renewal?

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Let me go back 40 years to rego time in the past:
"  Righto,
Those tyres were NOT on it,
that sports steering wheel was NOT on it,
that so called muffler was NOT on it.
Do we understand each other ? "
Unless it's super noisey at idle, most will pass it.

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
"  Righto,
Good to hear. I was asking "on behalf of a friend" who wants to add some deep throated rumble to his other car :whistler:

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
"  Righto,
Good to hear. I was asking "on behalf of a friend" who wants to add some deep throated rumble to his other car :whistler:
You mean, like ,a V8 with straight through pipes  :whistler:

Offline aranciataoz

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
"  Righto,
You mean, like ,a V8 with straight through pipes  :whistler:
I WISH it was a V8 . Try a port injected I4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Just out of curiosity, especially from an Australian (NSW) perspective, wouldn't a modified exhaust especially a louder one cause issues with the annual inspection for registration renewal?
I didn't know any state in Australia did annual inspections :confused: certainly not in WA.

On a stock system a turbo muffler will still be fairly quiet, especially the 2dr that Bazza2401 has which like mine has/had a muffller - resonator - two catalytic converters, one in the header...poor little engine cant breath :)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

I didn't know any state in Australia did annual inspections :confused: certainly not in WA.

On a stock system a turbo muffler will still be fairly quiet, especially the 2dr that Bazza2401 has which like mine has/had a muffller - resonator - two catalytic converters, one in the header...poor little engine cant breath :)
@CraigB
The money hungry state - New South Wales does. Only small trailers & under 5 years old exempt.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The money hungry state - New South Wales does. Only small trailers & under 5 years old exempt.
@mickd Bit bloody rude of em :disapp: you should all move to WA :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal