i30 Owners Club

Front seal popping out fequently on petrol 2L manual 2011 i30

Maxfix · 7 · 2072

Offline Maxfix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Nambour

• 1.6 Turbo desiel manual cw, great car.
My son owns a 2011 manual petrol i30 and after I replaced the the timing belt and front seal, the front seal keeps popping out after only been started for a few minutes. There is about 1.5mm of horizontal movement in the crank which tells me there is worn crank thrust bearings. Is this the source of my popping seal problems. It's driving me nuts as i have spent nearly a week working on this problem replacing seals from different manufacturers including Hyundai, and no one at Hyundai seems to know anything about it. I called more than a dozen dealers all over the country.
Maybe the front seal is pushed out by hydraulic force, because the oil pump is situated just behind the seal, and maybe the slight sideways movement of the crankshaft pumps the seal out. Does that sound feasible? 
Please someone help.
  • 2010 Hyundai i30 CW Desiel manual. My son's 2011 2l petrol manual hatchback .

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Thrust bearing correct,  use the "search " function , I'm sure one or more of the brainmechs will arrive soon.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
My son owns a 2011 manual petrol i30 and after I replaced the the timing belt and front seal, the front seal keeps popping out after only been started for a few minutes. There is about 1.5mm of horizontal movement in the crank which tells me there is worn crank thrust bearings. Is this the source of my popping seal problems. It's driving me nuts as i have spent nearly a week working on this problem replacing seals from different manufacturers including Hyundai, and no one at Hyundai seems to know anything about it. I called more than a dozen dealers all over the country.
Maybe the front seal is pushed out by hydraulic force, because the oil pump is situated just behind the seal, and maybe the slight sideways movement of the crankshaft pumps the seal out. Does that sound feasible? 
Please someone help.

Yes mate, did some work here to come to the right conclusion.  We wrote it up > see 'search'.
The lack of knowledge ,by Hyundai employees and gurus  :rolleyes:, about the thrust bearings existed then too.  :crazy1:

A wreck motor is probably the cheapest option.

My colleagues in North Brisbane did one of these jobs recently. I have a 2011 2.0L motor with 23,000 Km on the clock if you cant source one at your local wreckers.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Maxfix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Nambour

Yeah I removed the sump and found the thrust bearings in the bottom of the sump. One was almost non existent. The crank is gouged out and the main bearing caps are worn on one side. We need another good motor. 
How much do you want for your 2 litre motor?

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Will PM you
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Maxfix

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Nambour

All good now that I replaced the motor after discovering crank thrust bearings in the sump of the old motor.  Lots of great help from nzenigma. Thank you very much.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Hi Max,

:goodjob2: :goodjob2: :goodjob2:

ALL  4  injectors gummed, had me stumped. Dont throw them away. Thinking cap on now I reckon  wasp or ants built a nest in the rail. Similar on other motor.  :head_butt:

Best wishes . G

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal