i30 Owners Club

2011 - Fuel Tank Failure

RatPC · 11 · 5965

Offline RatPC

• 2nd Gear

• East Sussex (UK)
Hi All,

Just after some advice, my Sister in Law has a 2011 (FD i think it is) and last weekend, she had to be recovered and lost about £50 of Petrol too, and it turns out to be because the fuel tank has corroded away!

The Garage said they have never seen anything like it with a modern car, and have advised her to contact Hyundai in the UK

she sent me this image that the garage sent her earlier

Is this a common issue on the FD models?
  • Wife: i30 GD

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
WOW, I'd say that is very rare, even given you guys and your salted roads.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :eek: We did have a recent report from another European member with a slight fuel leak from the tank which was subsequently patched. Corrosion involving the brakes and occasionally the suspension gets a few mentions on here from UK and other European members presumably due to your salted roads and damp climate. Fortunately such things aren't an issue even in the coldest and wettest part of Australia. No salted roads for starters.

Saying that, modern car making techniques like galvanised components and the like should prevent this happening. Seems like it may be a one of QC issue at the Czech factory. Aussie delivered FD's were made in Korea.

Hopefully they admit it shouldn't have happened and cover it even though outside the warranty period.  :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
WOW, I'd say that is very rare, even given you guys and your salted roads.

:wss:  Even though she is exaggerating.  :mrgreen: "Rare" ???  :scared: that looks like it has been in sea water for months.  Hyundai may be nice guys,  :whistler: but a claim on that tank would really test any friendship.

:eek: We did have a recent report from another European member with a slight fuel leak from the tank which was subsequently patched.

Yes  :faint: :scared:
 :goodjob2: That was the rubber hose connecting filler to tank, but also it was a relatively clean looking tank.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Could this car be a flood salvage car? I would be looking over the rest of the car for other signs of water damage, Inside doors, under carpets, etc.

Offline RatPC

• 2nd Gear

• East Sussex (UK)
Could this car be a flood salvage car? I would be looking over the rest of the car for other signs of water damage, Inside doors, under carpets, etc.

I have considered that but if it was it wasnt recorded on our insurance database here.  I will pop an email to Hyundai UK and see what they say, and update you all.
  • Wife: i30 GD

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

:goodjob2:  Look closely, and dont be fooled by the tyres, they always remain inflated.

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I spy a diver with a torch  :victory:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
You have a rare talent Mick. Thats Chuuk (Truk) lagoon in the North Pacific.
I pinched that pic from the net, it may be me, :undecided: we snapped lots of photos of each other.
Among many wreck dives over the years, I spent  6 years diving all of Truk's shipwrecks.
We used twin tank rigs at 40 to 60+ meter depths and found everything imaginable > tanks, trucks, bicycles, Saki and dead Japanese.
Of all the various vehicles down there, they all still have fully inflated tyres.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I pinched that pic from the net, it may be me, :undecided: we snapped lots of photos of each other.
Among many wreck dives over the years, I spent  6 years diving all of Truk's shipwrecks.
We used twin tank rigs at 40 to 60+ meter depths and found everything imaginable > tanks, trucks, bicycles, Saki and dead Japanese.
Of all the various vehicles down there, they all still have fully inflated tyres.

None of that yellow soft metal that is rather expensive,  bet you brought the Saki up   :lol: :lol:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

None of that yellow soft metal that is rather expensive,  bet you brought the Saki up   :lol: :lol:

To my knowledge, anyone who tried to drink that Saki eventually brought it up.  :rofl: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal