i30 Owners Club

Radio fault GD 2014

Offline Jonesyvt

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Joondalup, WA
Hello all, is anyone having similar issues with the factory GD -01 radio head unit?

I got the car new, done 85000 km. Diesel manual which I plan to keep long term.

Three months after the warranty expired the radio started playing up. The sound just keeps dropping out and then coming back on. Worse on AM than FM but happens on both.
Ok when circuits are cold but after it warms up it starts playing up, not consistent however.

I emailed Hyundai Australia, they aren't interested as it is out of warranty of course!
Was there ever a recall on these radios as the wreckers I called here in Perth said he wouldn't sell me a second hand radio for an i30 as they are all faulty he reckons!

I have looked at some of the threads about radios and fitting a replacement and may go aftermarket.

Any thoughts on fixing the problem or a simple replacement would be appreciated

Ideally I would keep all the steering wheel controls working etc.

Thanks for looking at the post. Jonesyvt
  • 2011 CRDi Manual Hatch

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The GD-01 units are the only problematic one's I personally know of in the GD models, no point in fixing them being the cost is high and the units are very basic.

Easiest replacement is to obtain a GD-03 unit (+ usb cable + auxiliary module)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The GD-01 units are the only problematic one's I personally know of in the GD models, no point in fixing them being the cost is high and the units are very basic.

Easiest replacement is to obtain a GD-03 unit (+ usb cable + auxiliary module)

:wss:

Sometimes you will get a good cheap 01 from a wrecker, as I have done for wife's daily drive. A used 03 will cost you $150 ++ if you can beat the rush.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Mine bricked itself on my 2014 GD i30, told Hyundai what they could do with their replacement when they told me the cost. I now have a nice Alpine head unit with Android auto / Apple play, be nice though if google could only sort out google assist ( hey google ) . Been a problem for months now.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Mine bricked itself on my 2014 GD i30, told Hyundai what they could do with their replacement when they told me the cost. I now have a nice Alpine head unit with Android auto / Apple play, be nice though if google could only sort out google assist ( hey google ) . Been a problem for months now.

Yeah it's pretty random. Seems better in my Camry than it was in my PD SR but that could be just updates since I swapped vehicles. But still have the odd hiccup.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal