• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
Is it true that now is a great time to head to the beach in UK ?
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Did Boris say that?
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did Boris say that?
No,  The Guardian.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

The UK has gone mad. There were half a million people crowded on Dorset beaches on Wednesday crammed almost shoulder to shoulder despite the government warning that social distancing still applies.

These Covidiots are going to cause a spike in Covid infections which will result in the government applying lockdown again.

The government seem to be preparing for serious repercussions - the son of one of my friends is one of many armed forces reservist who have been put on standby to help the police when social unrest or even rioting starts.

If it were me - I would issue them with live ammunition.

The lives oof the law-abiding majority matter.

As an aside, I read in the UK press that panic buying has resumed in Australia due to a sudden increase in infections in some cities - is this true?

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I read in the UK press that panic buying has resumed in Australia due to a sudden increase in infections in some cities - is this true?
I think Victoria was reinstating restrictions in case of panic buying after their new outbreak, no other states affected at this stage I don't think :undecided: there's a couple of Footy teams quarantined in Queensland I believe.

Our tight boarder restrictions in Western Australia have worked well, restaurants and clubs were allowed to open from 12 tonight  :happydance:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Makes a complete mockery of the lockdown. Lots of people don't understand. Lots of people don't care.

Work gives me some dichotomies between what I know of the science and the need to make the business work.

In this lull while price gouging has mostly abated I've already stockpiled all we need personally and professionally for the second wave if it comes in the Autumn. If it doesn't come that's fine, its a relatively cheap insurance policy.

Death rates are just starting to tick upwards here - not statistically significant yet, let's review that in another couple of weeks.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Tassie is taking the cautios approach too with something like 40 days since last positive test.

We have kept our essentials topped up just in casee there is a 2nd wave when our boarders are openned again.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
MOST states/territories have done well.
A bit of panic buying again.  NSW Gov asked  NSW people not to interact or let Vic's stay in acc. All accom is booked out so we will have a quiet few weeks. Our 2 local Woolies have been stripped of a few things as some are doing multiple shops and according to Woolies cards are from Vic's here on holiday   :disapp: :head_knock:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Unfortunately, despite SA being COVID-free for weeks, COVIDiocy spreads faster and without contact, so the buying restrictions on selected staples have returned nationally.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Tassie ... 40 days since last positive test.

We have kept our essentials topped up just in case there is a 2nd wave when our boarders are opened again.  :cool:

During this pandemic island states were able to close their international borders and had relatively few cases.

For example Taiwan, New Zealand, Australia, Pacific Nations etc.

Then inexplicably, there is the island of Britain  :wait:  :headbang:

• FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline Paolo5

• V.I.P

• au Australia

and of course, the greatest country on Earth  :sicky: the good ol' U.S of A.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Unfortunately, despite SA being COVID-free for weeks, COVIDiocy spreads faster and without contact, so the buying restrictions on selected staples have returned nationally.
No buying restrictions in QLD mate.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
MOST states/territories have done well.
A bit of panic buying again.  NSW Gov asked  NSW people not to interact or let Vic's stay in acc. All accom is booked out so we will have a quiet few weeks. Our 2 local Woolies have been stripped of a few things as some are doing multiple shops and according to Woolies cards are from Vic's here on holiday   :disapp: :head_knock:
I have a friend in Lennox Head, northern NSW.  He drives buses to and from Ballina airport.
There are  30, yep 30 flights into Ballina from Victoria next week.  :crazy1:

Our Premier has been copping flack from the tourist industry for keeping the QLD borders closed.
Good on her.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Got this email from my son in Canada.
He is a fireman in an adjoining city to Toronto and also has his own Pyrotechnic business.

Hi everyone, just wanted to politely advise that if you're planning on traveling over here next year I would seriously consider skipping the USA. Between the Covid and the riots it’s open season on white people there.

I’m usually not afraid going over the border but I’ve got friends there that are gun toting, pyro shooting, full on redneck And even they’re telling me to steer clear. When my USA “friends” are nervous there’s a serious issue and cause for concern.

Doesn’t matter if you're in a bus tour, they’ve attacked looted and decimated buses that carried US residents.

This is not the time to even consider it

Come to Canada direct and avoid the mess that is supposedly the “United” states of America

The only thing they’re United about is complete anarchy.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
in the UK (well England) we are no where near free of the Virus - new case rate has started to trend up over the last 3 days - 1380 new cases and 184 deaths yesterday.

The government have stopped the daily briefings because telling people this no long suits their new "economy first" agenda.

We have no track and trace app (not that Im convinced that would help) and our contract tracing people are failing to track down 30% of cases.

We are anticipating legislation that gives pavements and other open spaces by pubs in towns for people to drink (fight, be sick, defecate etc). Councils are planning to close roads to allow people to use them to walk up instead.

Don't get me wrong we need to do something about all the job losses that also head towards us like a tidal wave.

Virus Part 2, mass unemployment, social unrest, civil disobedience, and folk have mostly forgotten we leave Europe in 6 months.

Collectively we really don't yet realise what a complete mess we are in. Anyway, Sun's out so I'm off to the beach......

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
No buying restrictions in QLD mate.
None in WA either.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well, if you out-of-staters are saying there are no such restrictions, I can only assume the news item that clearly stated 'nationallly' referrring to two major supermarket chains has been retracted since, or that the states have decided not to follow what may have been federal thinking.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Well, if you out-of-staters are saying there are no such restrictions, I can only assume the news item that clearly stated 'nationallly' referrring to two major supermarket chains has been retracted since, or that the states have decided not to follow what may have been federal thinking.
The only news sites i saw on the matter said restrictions had been reintroduced by Coles and Woolworths in Victoria. No mention of other states.

:link: iview

If they've done something else since I didn't hear it. And I had occasion to go into our local Coles late yesterday afternoon.  No signs.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

We have kept our essentials topped up just in casee there is a 2nd wave when our boarders are openned again.  :cool:

Boarders? :spitty:  But I know what you mean. Predictive text is a bugger innit.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
The only news sites i saw on the matter said restrictions had been reintroduced by Coles and Woolworths in Victoria. No mention of other states.

:link: iview

If they've done something else since I didn't hear it. And I had occasion to go into our local Coles late yesterday afternoon.  No signs.
OK Gonz.
I've found your news.
You know about us Queenslanders. Always a few days behind the rest of the country.  :victory:
Which is not a bad thing when all is said and done.
No evidence of panic buying up here yet. We've probably hardly made a dent in our initial buy up.  :crazy1:

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

The government have stopped the daily briefings because telling people this no long suits their new "economy first" agenda.

Virus Part 2, mass unemployment, social unrest, civil disobedience, and folk have mostly forgotten we leave Europe in 6 months. [ exactly]

Collectively we really don't yet realise what a complete mess we are in. Anyway, Sun's out so I'm off to the beach......

With respect Lorain (and others), Britain has been a mess for several years and I think the new massing crowds are mainly POPs (pissed oFF poms) who have given up, or are too confused by the mixed messages.

Brits are already confused by:
Cameron's blunder into Scotland,
Brexit > no Brexit > Brexit,
May vs Boris vs the EU,
Retaining the un-electable Corbyn > alternative = Boris.   
Boris's initial 'herd immunity' agenda,  :faint:
Boris's 'stay home' agenda, but keep borders open,
Boris's latest; 'everyone hop on a bus and go to work' agenda.

To give credit to the Australian PM who originally tried to cremate the country; on COVID he has listened to the experts, closed the national border and remained on message.
Most of our infections originated overseas and on cruise ships.

@Surferdude the USA has been an increasingly dysfunctional country for many years. That dysfunctionality has been exacerbated by the presence of a psychopath called Trump.  While we banned Asians etc from travelling here,  political cowardice left the door open to the viral Yanks for too long.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 23:32:06 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@nzenigma .
I get where you're coming from with the US but I don't totally agree on the pre Trump assessment
I've been there a few times and found most Americans to be friendly, warm and approachable.
The problem lies with a vocal minority who are pretty much anti everything.
And their gun mentality of course.

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
@nzenigma .
I get where you're coming from with the US but I don't totally agree on the pre Trump assessment
I've been there a few times and found most Americans to be friendly, warm and approachable.

I still have friends in the US, both business and socially. Much of my business was done between LA and two red neck states, Texas and Arizona. The country was prosperous, they were content, Clinton was in favour. They relied upon private medical clinics, but could afford them; social medicine was for the poor.

After a few years break, I went back ( post 9-11 and Bush). The place looked shabby, fuel was expensive, the car industry in turmoil.
But here's the kicker that relates to their CV crisis;
 On the outskirts of Phoenix, Tuscon, Dallas LA etc etc , vast slums had sprung up. In town, the older motels were now homes to poor families, all relying on handouts and social medicine.
When the pandemic hit, every street became a cruise ship.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

@nzenigma .

I still have friends in the US, both business and socially. Much of my business was done between LA and two red neck states, Texas and Arizona. The country was prosperous, they were content, Clinton was in favour. They relied upon private medical clinics, but could afford them; social medicine was for the poor.

After a few years break, I went back ( post 9-11 and Bush). The place looked shabby, fuel was expensive, the car industry in turmoil.
 On the outskirts of Phoenix, Tuscon, Dallas LA etc etc , vast slums had sprung up. In town, the older motels were now homes to poor families, all relying on handouts and social medicine.

That was a well painted (sad) picture Gary. My Daughter was amazed and scared by the amount of homeless and destitute people on the streets in some towns and cities when she was there about 3 years ago.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
@nzenigma .

That was a well painted (sad) picture Gary. My Daughter was amazed and scared by the amount of homeless and destitute people on the streets in some towns and cities when she was there about 3 years ago.
They are everywhere in the US. They were when I first went there in 1994.
But also in Vancouver, London and Edinburgh .

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

They are everywhere in the US. They were when I first went there in 1994.
But also in Vancouver, London and Edinburgh .
[/quote]

Sure were Trev. In those days they were called 'bums'. They slept in parks and shop doorways. I even saw them in Beijing in 1985.
Im not talking about those few bodies; its about large Barrios that have become part of the USA.

Thing is I lived in Tuscon and Santa Anna (LA) during 1980-1. All safe.
 But we had an office and electronic workshop in Hollywood . Not safe. :scared: There, we carried weapons at night.
Through the 1990s, I was exporting vehicles from LA to Oz. The head of a MAJOR exporter told me his operation depended on his efficient Mexican workforce. Everyone was happy.
By 2008-9, that Latin American workforce was living in large slums on the outskirts of every city.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Nice to see London cares about its homeless.
Leicester Square, 2000.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:crazy1:  :sweating: :sweating:  :faint: :crazy2:

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/12514642

They probably think they can't catch a "cold" on a hot day (Surprised Trump hasn't used that one yet!) :crazy2:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal