i30 Owners Club

Dashboard lights don't work?

jag · 5 · 4511

Offline jag

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Hey guys, I just bought a 2009 i30cw two days ago and joined the i30 owners club  :happydance:

So during the test drive and all through yesterday it has been driving like a dream, except last night I did my first night drive and to my dismay the lights behind the dashboard don't turn on with the headlights. The odometer square still lights up, it is just the section above with the speedometer, tachometer, temp and fuel level that stays completely dark, meaning my first night drive was spent worrying about whether or not I was speeding the whole time.

Now I have spent all morning reading and watching tutorials about how to fix the issue, but none of them have seemed to work. The fuse that controls the dash lights is apparently with the Tail RH, and this fuse had blown. I got my hopes up that this would be an easy fix, but I changed the fuse and still nothing...

Next I read a bunch of people saying the issue is most often the wiring for the dimmer switch being loose and breaking the circuit. So I take out the rheostat and of course, the wires aren't just loose but completely unattached! So I wire them back in, turn the keys and switch on the lights, still nothing :head_knock:

I can't think of anything else that could be the issue except for maybe a blown bulb, anyone have any experience or advice in this area?
  • 2009 i30cw 1.6 turbo diesel

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Hi, @jag

A couple of people are quite knowledgeable about this, such as @tw2005 and Co. They should be along soon. Good luck! :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD

So During the test drive and all through yesterday it has been driving like a dream, except last night I did my first night drive and to my dismay the lights behind the dashboard don't turn on with the headlights. The odometer square still lights up, it is just the section above with the speedometer, tachometer, temp and fuel level that stays completely dark, meaning my first night drive was spent worrying about whether or not I was speeding the whole time.

Ok, its not just one bulb, its a number of LEDs illuminating the cluster .  It is not uncommon for them to dim or flicker. Illumination of gauges should remain ok .  Get another cluster , same dated car, from a wrecker.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Offline jag

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
The gauges have no illumination either though and none of it is dim or flickering, just complete darkness. I'll try checking another LED cluster, I was thinking the dimmer could faulty too so I can try both.
  • 2009 i30cw 1.6 turbo diesel

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
The gauges have no illumination either though and none of it is dim or flickering, just complete darkness. I'll try checking another LED cluster, I was thinking the dimmer could faulty too so I can try both.

Sorry, I had other stuff to deal with when I read your initial post.  @jag

The LED flicker is a separate component fault ( not the LEDs ) .

"I take out the rheostat and of course, the wires aren't just loose but completely unattached! So I wire them back in, turn the keys and switch on the lights, still nothing "

Ok we can assume last owner had this fault. After you attached the wires, did you re check the fuse? Did you, or do you now, have RH tail light?
Is the short cct at the tail or cluster ? > separate and test.

Do you have a multimeter? Volts on dimmer?

As you can see there are components in the dimmer such as the diode that may be faulty.

The dash light LED is between pins 1 & 2, rheostat takes 2 to 3(earth) for full brightness.

Disconnect these and measure for short at dimmer or in cluster.

If cluster has short or is open, it would be repairable.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 22:22:53 by nzenigma »
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal