Author Topic: 2010 Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Removal  (Read 224 times)

• gb United Kingdom
    Conwy
2010 Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Removal
« June 22, 2020, 14:58:50 »
Hi, I was wondering if anyone would have any advice or suggestions for me as I am trying to replace a rear wheel bearing hub assembly on my 1.4 petrol 2010.
I've gotten as far as removing the caliper, brake disc and removed the 4 bolts on the back. I've fought against the rust holding the hub and backplate to the knuckle (with some heavy persuasion) but I can't seem to separate the backplate (with the handbrake hardware on it) from the actual hub. Seems rust welded.
I've got hold of some penetrating fluid that I will try out and it's quite awkward trying to smack it out the way it is without bending the backplate - I can't help but feel like I'm missing something. Do I remove the handbrake hardware for easy access and chisel around the edges? Inserting the bolts at the back and smacking them? Clueless!
Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Before I give in and go to a man :lol:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 15:08:39 by pintman » »

• 2010 ES 5 Door Hatch, Petrol 1.4, Manual, Red

• au Australia
    QLD
Re: 2010 Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Removal
« Reply #1 : June 23, 2020, 18:53:10 »
:link: map gas torch - Google Search

WD40 for a day , if no go try some heat. That always works if you have all the bolts out. Possibly some sealant is assisting the rust???

We are salt, rust and Boris free down here.  :sweating:  Rarely have I had to remove an FD hub. From memory, it should have dropped off and then you remove linkage.
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

• Use it or lose it!
  • au Australia
    Adelaide
  • Callsign GUNZ
Re: 2010 Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly Removal
« Reply #2 : June 24, 2020, 04:12:13 »
We are salt, rust and Boris free down here.
:rofl:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG's PDSRPremAuto

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal