i30 Owners Club

Opening the headlights and adding angel eyes?

Odin_se · 10 · 2551

Offline Odin_se

• 1st Gear
Is there someone who has any ideas on how to open the headlights? Not only detaching the main body, but opening up so that you can reach the silver parts. On 2014 i30 cdri station wagon.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I'm pretty sure the clear lens cover is glued/welded on so all you can do is cut it open, then try and glut back together in a way that retains the strength, keeps it watertight, doesn't look awful and doesn't mess up the optics. Does anyone make customised headlight units like what you want? At least you could then sell the undamaged original units.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Odin_se

• 1st Gear
I'm pretty sure the clear lens cover is glued/welded on so all you can do is cut it open, then try and glut back together in a way that retains the strength, keeps it watertight, doesn't look awful and doesn't mess up the optics. Does anyone make customised headlight units like what you want? At least you could then sell the undamaged original units.
Yeah, they sell the complete unit with angel eyes, but it's 700$ instead of 150$ for just the eyes.
I'll see what I'll do. Maybe buy a second hand lamp unit to experiment on.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I think Hemmi opened his (many years ago now) to paint inside on the FD model. I  seem to recall it involved baking the units in the oven to melt the glue or something - my memory fades. It was certainly not something to be undertaken lightly.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think Hemmi opened his (many years ago now) to paint inside on the FD model. I  seem to recall it involved baking the units in the oven to melt the glue or something - my memory fades. It was certainly not something to be undertaken lightly.

Actually I thought that was member Thumper? I'll try and do a search later if I get time.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Actually I thought that was member Thumper? I'll try and do a search later if I get time.

Yes you could be right.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My LH low been H7 blew last night and today I was happy to head out to Supercheap to pick up a Phillips replacement for $6.99, and for good measure as emergency backups, a couple fo two-packs of the bule equivalent for the ridiculous clearance price of $1 a pair for emergencies, only to find that none of these were available except in Whyalla (a bit far to go) and had to settle for some unheard-of brand for $22 a piece. :'(
Not happy, Jan! :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Odin_se

• 1st Gear
My LH low been H7 blew last night and today I was happy to head out to Supercheap to pick up a Phillips replacement for $6.99, and for good measure as emergency backups, a couple fo two-packs of the bule equivalent for the ridiculous clearance price of $1 a pair for emergencies, only to find that none of these were available except in Whyalla (a bit far to go) and had to settle for some unheard-of brand for $22 a piece. :'(
Ehm.. Did you post to the right thread? That doesn't seem to be related. Or am I missing something?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Ehm.. Did you post to the right thread? That doesn't seem to be related. Or am I missing something?

Sorry, we do that here.. Gonz out ranks me as a civilian despite me being an Admin on here..  :rofl:
Anyway, here you go think this thread might help you..

:link: Headlight & Foglight painting
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
You're right, I blatantly hijacked a thread that was only mildly relevant  :crazy1:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal