i30 Owners Club

Service parts, shocking prices

CraigB · 9 · 1859

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Checked with Hyundai service yesterday about spark plugs and fuel filter type and costs, I nearly fell over when he said they use NGK or Denso at $45 each :eek: or can get Bosch in if preferred for $52 each :faint: and genuine fuel filter at $150...thats fricken 3 service costs :crazy1:

Called up Repco and they were $45 each for Bosch plugs :disapp:, the aftermarket Ryco fuel filter was better priced at $104.

Next in line was to check with Supercheap, they wanted $27 for the Bosch plugs (better) though $117 for the fuel filter.

Lastly I checked with a couple of eBay stores I've used in the past Rolans - Prestige Autos, managed to get the Bosch plugs for $17 each and the Ryco fuel filter for $99 :happydance:

I knew looking around will generally save you some money but I didn't expect the amount I achieved :Shocked: I'm amazed how Hyundai and Repco can charge such outrageous prices on basic service parts and still keep customers.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:00:02 by CraigB »

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
It's the same up here. I do like to buy genuine parts but only at eBay bargain prices. I haven't bought anything from the local dealer for at least 5 years, maybe longer.

New car has a 3 year service plan - which was like buying 2 years servicing and getting 1 year free, and locking in prices, so I can forget about parts for a while anyway.

1st year service is due in a month, I've booked it in already so they can do it before the next lockdown :-)  I will be marking all the consumables that should be replaced as usual - does this make me paranoid?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
It's the same up here. I do like to buy genuine parts but only at eBay bargain prices. I haven't bought anything from the local dealer for at least 5 years, maybe longer.

New car has a 3 year service plan - which was like buying 2 years servicing and getting 1 year free, and locking in prices, so I can forget about parts for a while anyway.

1st year service is due in a month, I've booked it in already so they can do it before the next lockdown :-)  I will be marking all the consumables that should be replaced as usual - does this make me paranoid?

Good thinking and no, not at all.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I was lucky enough to get the spark plugs replaced at 55k under warranty when the injectors were replaced. NGK are the OEM and in my experience the best. It is very rare to have an NGK plug fail but that can't be said for the others.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
NGK are the OEM and in my experience the best.
According to Hyundai the NGK - Denso - Bosch are all OEM plugs, service and parts will stock any of those three brands depending on the cheapest price they can get them for.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
If they are in a Hyundai box the i30 plugs will be NGK. Many years ago we had a heap of spark plug failures in most Hyundai models and they were all factory fitted Champion plugs. We would replace them with NGK as at the time we didn't  stock the genuine part
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Offline Automatic Tony

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent
As always be careful of fake stuff on ebay.  :confused:
  • I30 tourer automatic petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If they are in a Hyundai box the i30 plugs will be NGK.
Hyundai don’t make spark plugs so whichever plugs are in the Hyundai service box are the ones placed there by your local dealer, Hyundai Australia recommends any of the three brands mentioned.

My Euro built i30 came with Bosch factory installed which I prefer as the electrical system/ECU are Bosch.

Offline NotaN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The local dealer doesn't package the parts. If you buy genuine Hyundai spark plugs in a genuine Hyundai box for the i30 they are NGK. Most dealers will sell the genuine branded product as part of their dealer agreement. When I was in the trade we just bought our plugs for retail work in bulk and used NGK exclusively as I have for the last 27 years. It become hard to claim non genuine parts for warranty so we started stocking the genuine parts but in those days the price of them was much higher. When I was at Hyundai Champion plugs were in nearly all their models at one stage and we had problem after problem with them. At times we would replace spark plug and lead sets up to 5 times a day in the first of their twin cam engined Excels and Accents and it was a real problem. As far as using Bosch branded plugs because the injection system is Bosch will make no difference as Hyundai never bothered matching parts and have always used multiple manufacturers electrical systems. They have used Lucas, Melco (Mitsubishi), Kefico (Bosch Licensed), Bosch, Denso (Toyota) and others and always will to keep costs down just like all manufacturers do.
  • I30 SR Premium PD

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal