i30 Owners Club

Retrofit Autolink to GD-02

Offline supachicken

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney, NSW
Has anyone installed a Premium Autolink module in a GD-02 or know if this module is compatible?

If not are there any alternatives?
  • i30 ActiveX MY15

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Very short answer: No idea (and no I haven't).

Longer short answer: It could very well be compatible - question will be how compatible.

Much Looooonger answer:
As far as I know AutoLink is a module which plugs into the OBD-II port in vehicle.   I haven't actually confirmed that physically on my N-Line yet.   But that is what I have read and seen photos.   The Premium version communicates via. SIM card to Hyundai servers and the app on your phone talks to those.   As opposed to standard AutoLink... which communicates via. bluetooth to your device.

OBD-II defines signalling protocols and a messaging format.   So at the very least it *should* plug in and power on in a GD - in theory it would be able to talk to the car (messaging format is standard)...

HOWEVER no idea if the data would be useful - as I have no idea if AutoLink is:
  • Pulling data from standard PIDs (Parameter IDs)^ of the SAE J1979 standard (the std. for parameters on OBD-II) - which will be the same on every vehicle
OR
  • Proprietary PIDs which are unlisted and could very well change between models* and/or years of same model (or even potentially firmware revisions for ECUs, BCMs, etc., etc.)
If the former the data would likely be useful and show up the same.  If the latter - then it would really be luck of the draw (on if the same proprietary PIDs were re-used for same data and format).  It could even be a combination of both standard and proprietary.

Also, if I recall correctly, you need to register you VIN with the AutoLink Preimum services/servers - and VINs might be whitelisted (i.e. only allows listed VINs - which you would do for a subscription service... and whilst, as far as I know, it is free in Australia if Hyundai is servicing the car - it is actually a subscription service).

If, instead, someone was using a standard AutoLink (i.e. Bluetooth only) module - then the VIN registration would likely not matter.

* - I currently work with devices which have a similar protocol... most of the parameters (PIDs in OBD-II speak) are propriety AND there are three (and counting) sets of "PIDs", that return the exact same data, across two families of one manufacture's products... but which sets gives the data needed depends on exactly which model the device is (and, of course, are unlisted).

^ - People are familiar with DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)... which are error codes.  PID (Parameter IDentification numbers) - return parameters readings instead.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline asdetail

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      gold coast
Has anyone installed a Premium Autolink module in a GD-02 or know if this module is compatible?

yes, torque app on your phone and bluetooth elm 327 adaptor in obd port.

Don't bother with autolink module, not worth the effort imho.
  • 2019 i30 n-line dct

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

yes, torque app on your phone and bluetooth elm 327 adaptor in obd port.

Don't bother with autolink module, not worth the effort imho.

I tend to agree - unless you absolutely want/need to start your vehicle remotely, unlock, etc., etc. then it will be much easier and cheaper as per @asdetail

I use remote start on mine but boy are the hazards going while it does so an irritant.   Also the AutoLink app itself is a bit rough as well... from the login screen (when it forgets you) to the fact it doesn't support 'dark' mode on iOS devices (you loose some text because it gets rendered the exact same colour) to some features being on unlabeled small buttons.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal